What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Update

gblwy

Well Known Member
Question to Vans 9th Feb

I know you guys are busy, but is it possible to post a drawing of the panel, with any no-go areas (stiffeners etc.) so folk can dream while waiting? Any news yet on whether you will recommend/require Dynon and/or AFS?

Response back 11th Feb

We don't have final drawings yet for the 12. I would expect that when the kits are available, a panel drawing will be available for download, as for the other RVs, which should be within a couple of months.

The avionics package will contain the Dynon D180. If it is built as an E-LSA, that would be required. If it is built as an EAB (more likely in the UK), you can probably use any instruments. At present, we do not envisage compelling builders to buy the D180 as part of the airframe kits.

Question to Vans 9th Feb

The avionics package will contain the Dynon D180. If it is built as an E-LSA, that would be required. If it is built as an EAB (more likely in the UK), you can probably use any instruments. At present, we do not envisage compelling builders to buy the D180 as part of the airframe kits.

As a newbe and still in the dreaming stage (and trying to convince the boss), would like to know what or if there are any advantages to building as E-LSA or EAB.

Thanks

EAB is a British category of aircraft, Think of it as a certified plane built as a Kit. Doesn't apply to the US or Canada. If you are going to build the plane then you do it as an Experimental Amateur Built category, even though you want to fly it as an LSA as a sport pilot. This category gives you the most flexability and you get the Repairman's Certificate. If you have a plane in the E-LSA or S-lsa Catagory you will have no ability to try different instruments, different prop, etc.. You will have to treat it like a Cessna in many respects. If it is not approved for the plane you can't use it. If you are not going to build it then E-LSA or S-LSA won't matter.

As a newbe and still in the dreaming stage (and trying to convince the boss), would like to know what or if there are any advantages to building as E-LSA or EAB.

Thanks

This might have already been covered elsewhere, but here's the basic dope on this.

As of a couple weeks ago, the much more desireable "grandfather" ELSA option went away. The only remaining option for ELSA certification now is if Vans comes out specifically with an ELSA kit. Otherwise, EAB is the only other option.

For ELSA
-advantages: inspection rating can be obtained by anyone by taking the 16 hour class. Resale will be a bit better as a result.
-disadvantages: Vans will have produce the kit, I'd suspect that'll take a while since they'll have to go through the SLSA process and do all the paperwork on the kit. You'll have to follow the instructions to the letter, you won't be able to deviate from them in any significant way. Possibility of more restrictive op limits, though this might not be the case anymore.

For EAB
- advantages: easier for Vans to produce an EAB kit so more likely to appear sooner in this form. You have the freedom to fabricate and make changes as you see fit, as the builder you get the repairman's cert just by applying for it, no class needed. Possibly less restrictive op limits.
- disadvantages: repairman's cert not transferrable, can impact resale somewhat.

Like I said, the ELSA option will only appear if Vans decides to produce the ELSA version of the kit. That doesn't seem like good business sense to me either, since, if you have to go through the SLSA process anyway and prefabricate the kit to that level, you may as well just produce it as an SLSA to begin with. Then, for the kit version, just sell that intended for EAB....

So my personal vote is for EAB hands down, since it may end up being your only choice ;)

LS

one of the biggest advantages to E-LSA(as I understand it) is the ability to use the plane for training.

one of the biggest advantages to E-LSA(as I understand it) is the ability to use the plane for training.

No, commercial ops require SLSA certification as well.
The rules probably permit an instructor to train you in your ELSA like you can in an EAB plane since it's experimental also. But to use it specifically for training for hire, it needs to be an SLSA.

LS

We had Wally Anderson and some local EAA RV builders here at our factory last Thursday. They got to be the first to see what our "skunk works" has been up to!!

I wonder how much they have spoken of their time here?:rolleyes::D;) I hope my marketing department realizes how many builders are in the "panel planning" phase!

I need to get my sales man hat off the rack and go visit Van's!

More to come!

Last edited:
Back