What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone near St. Louis?

Wilkie

Hi Gang, about 2 years ago I began construction of an RV-7 and then due to financial reasons I had to give up my project. I was 95% through with the tail kit when this happened.

Fortunately, I am ready to begin again but before I do, I would really appreciate a chance to see, and possible fly in a -7 up close and personal. I have concerns about the size of the cockpit. I'm 6'1" and weigh about 205. I know there are plenty of threads about guys that are 6'5" that fit ok but I would feel much better if I actually had a chance to sit in one-just to see for myself.

If anyone is willing to fly to the St. Louis area, I would be very grateful for the opportunity to see your airplane up close. I would be more than willing to pay for fuel or dinner or whatever. I have a hangar out at St.Charles Smartt field (KSET) and this would be a good, quiet airport to meet at. I would also be willing to drive a reasonable distance if this would be more convenient.

Please feel free to send me a pm and I will definitely get in touch with you.

Thanks..........
Scott (Wilkie)

I'm 6'2" and 230lbs and fit fine. I tried the Van's -7 and -9A (same fuse) at OSH and flew in a -9A. Had headroom in both slider and tip up, knees clear of panel, comfortable legroom even with seat at forward hinge. On the -9A flight, the PIC was about my size. We were shoulder to shoulder for sure, but wasn't bad. If you don't find any flyers nearby that can help (there is a -7 in Troy, MO flown by Dave Domeier, an ex-TWA jet jockey that you may want to PM), you can always sit in the demos by Van's or perhaps some RV's on site after asking the owners at both Sun N Fun in April or Oshkosh in July.
Good luck.

Thank you Carl for the reply. I may try to get in touch with Dave up in Troy to see if I can arrange something.

Wilkie

Back