What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Horn Rubs Aft Deck

TX7A

Well Known Member
I have drilled-in my HS to the fuse and was doing a preliminary check with the elevators on the HS. The flange of the right elevator horn slightly rubs the edge of the rectangular opening of the F-714 aft deck. At first, I thought that I had not centered the HS to the fuse. But, after measuring from multiple points, the HS is centered and perpendicular to the fuse centerline as close as I could ever expect. (+/- 1/32?) It is possible the weldment may be slightly off, but it is negligible. The left side has about 1/8? clearance. I seems that I could shave-off a little of the opening of the aft deck to get clearance.

Has anyone had this problem? Suggestions?
rtelevatorhornrubsdeck20jq.jpg

bolt on the push rod

When you attach the push rod with the connecting bolt, you might find the the two horns pull together slightly. Not sure if that will cure your problem though. I'd call Van's tech support and find out where to trim, horn or hole. I don't think you have a major problem. Just thought of one other thing. Check the clearance on the two rod end bearings where the right elevator attaches to the horizontal stabilizer. If the two are not tightened to the same distance that might cause the horn to be off center a little and push it out of alignment. Also, I notice that you don't have the horns attached at the pivot point. I wouldn't trim anything until you get everything else attached and see what happens.

Last edited:
For other's future reference...
Here's Tom at Van's reply:
No problem... that hole could open 1" without compromising
anything.... make sure you end up with at least 1/8" to allow for
clearence.... build on and fly safe, Tom

I will also check into the suggestions Build9A had...

Thanks, guys
Sam
7A_@ABI

Back