What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bird strike photograph

Howie

If possible I would like more information about the bird strike shown on the
home page. I have no axe to grind, just curious.
Thanks,
Howie

A buddy of mine hit a Bald Eagle in an RV-9A on the South Dakota, Nebraska border about 3 months ago. 6 months ago he hit a turkey buzzard...in the same plane!

Ron, Remember now, you were over TX when that happened. You know how everything is bigger, more than likely you hit a mosquito. :eek:

Glad you were okay Ron, that would have scared the P**P right out of me. It's a long way down from at 11.5.

Last edited:
Be careful...

.....to avoid birds at all costs. Like Ron said, the energy at near 200mph speeds is very high. Look at my Air Tractor wing after a hawk strike this week at only 140 MPH...
birdhitbf2.jpg

Regards,

Ron, Remember now, you were over TX when that happened. You know how everything is bigger, more than likely you hit a mosquito. :eek:

It was just a "thump" I heard more than felt. I took it off autopilot (yeah, I'm lazy!) and slowed it down to near stall to see if it would still handle OK. Might have been a Texas Mosquito, but remember that you can walk around on a T-28 wing!

I know who the -8 belongs to. I was going to the airport this morning to find out what happened, but slept a little late.

Spiral on Spinner

I have heard that a spiral on the spinner might act as a visual deterrent, most birds have good eyesight so flagging your position might help. Also, in Air Force birds could be a big problem due to our speeds, if you did not know going up is a better move to avoid birds, even if they look like they are above you. A birds natural reaction once sing you will be to fold its wings and dive, you don't want to be headed to the same piece of airspace as the bird.

Cheers

Here's the story on the bird strike. (According to his hangar-mate)

They were flying formation ~180ish + knots. Since he wasn't the lead plane, his primary attention was on following the leader.

They were returning to the airport and were close to entering (if not already established-in) the traffic pattern.

Out of the blue, he heard and felt a solid thump.

He landed uneventfully.

He said the plane flew just fine. The bird bent a portion of the right tank - hopefully it can be repaired.

In a little humor, some of the feathers traveled along the forward spar, went through the aileron push tube hole, and were swept into the cabin. He's probably still finding feathers inside.

Happy to say everything turned out okay and fortunately it didn't hit the canopy.

birdstr.jpg

Last edited:
"Happy to say everything turned out okay and fortunately it didn't hit the canopy."

Tell that to the bird.
Mark

Goose + Baron + 185 knots = Major Damage

... speaking of bird strikes and canopys.

I hate to say these are some of my favorite photos - because that sounds really morbid. But they are because they show how devastating a bird strike can be.

This is a Beech Baron that was traveling at 185 knots when it hit a goose.

Fortunately they were single pilot at the time. But judging from the blood on the seat back he still got a bad deal.

With this being a twin, the goose was unimpeded through the entire sequence. I'm sure if the goose had gone through a prop, it might not have been quite this bad. But I'm sure it still would have been catastrophic.

Never-the-less, they really communicate why you need to give birds some space.

Phil

airplaneGooseMidAir1.jpg

airplaneGooseMidAir2.jpg

airplaneGooseMidAir3.jpg

Last edited:
Phil,
Thank you for the information on the bird strike. That was exactly what I was after. I'm glad they got down ok.
Howie

Yep that was a MID AIR

The other plane did not make it.

From my bird strike experience a goose would do sever damage and could take a plane down but that damage shown is nothing like a bird strike. With that said birds can distroy a windscreen, radar dome and jet engine even on a jet.

Last edited:
I had a friend that was killed many years ago by a birdstrike. He was the co-pilot in a 20 series Lear Jet departing Detroit late at night (freight dog), the goose came through the RH windshield and decapitated him. High time PIC managed to get the airplane back on the ground safely.

Kent RIP

Jet engine

From my bird strike experience a goose would do sever damage and could take a plane down but that damage shown is nothing like a bird strike. With that said birds can distroy a windscreen, radar dome and jet engine even on a jet.

Or not on a jet...:D

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Keep the eye balls pealed....and moving.

I watch for birds like a fighter pilot looks for the enemy.

These critters are a real and ever present hazard. The turkey buzzard is the second or third largest bird in North America and they are numerous, at least around here. Along the Missippippi and Missouri Rivers there are numerous ducks and geese all year 'round and not a few bald eagles keeping an eye out for whatever they can eat.

A good bird scan makes avoiding other aircraft a piece of cake. :)

Back