What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying Tunes in MP3

Where is the best place to find flying tunes? Songs about flying etc. I would like to download MP3 type of music so I can play some music while I build. Anybody have favorites? Right now my favorite is Pink Floyd's ?Learning To Fly?.

Thank You
Warren

You asked for it!

Reap the Wild Wind - Ultravox
It's My Time to Fly - The Urge
Fly Away - Lenny Kravitz (the accoustic version is my favorite)
Learn to Fly - The Foo Fighters
Fly Like an Eagle - Seal or Steve Miller Band (I like Seal's version better)

These aren't particularly about flying but they are great flying songs:
Free Ride - Edgar Winters
Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
When We Dance - Sting (you've never danced with your airplane?)
Uninvited - Alanis Morissette (I don't know! I just like the song okay??)

I have these along with a couple of albums from Newsong, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Fernando Ortega. All this on a 512 MB SD card in my iPAQ.

More details please. Where are you downloading them from? A paysite like Napster? Burning it off your home collection? iPAQ is like 300 bucks isn't it? I know DR had some way he was playing tunes with one. I must be getting old. I used to keep up on all the latest tech but frankly, I don't care anymore (usually.) By the way, love that Ultravox tune too. Ditto on Pink Floyd. And Tom Petty's "Learning to Fly" also. Lenny Kravitz' "Dig In" is great for building motivation too. Thanks.

Yes there were only downloaded using legal sites, not anything like Kazaa or Morpheus. ;)

I use an iPaq because I run AnywhereMap on it for my GPS. Windows Media player runs in the background playing the tunes. Works great.

Thanks for the playlist Scott. I do not know much about MP3?s, so that is why I am asking. I paid zero attention until my new truck said MP3 on the dashboard. The owner?s manual says that I can play MP3 CD?s. I asked somebody and they said that I could put 4 hours of music on a CD. I see the new MP3 players at Wal-Mart are slightly larger than a pack of matches. I am a big fan of XM because I can just push a button and get commercial free music. I have a friend that has received a letter or two from a lawyer for active downloading by his kid. S what is a good simple way to download that is legal? I think I could burn a CD if I wanted to.

I just loaded iTunes on my PC at home (www.itunes.com). It has an interface to the iTunes Music Store containing a ton of music. I expected to find some of what I was looking for, but it was all there. Amazing. About $.99 per song or $10-12 for albums. iTunes is very easy to use. The big drawback is that I'm not sure you can burn an MP3 CD from iTunes. You can burn a regular CD and of course download to an iPod. I've just started playing with it, so I'm not an expert with it. I am impressed, though.

Dave

For those CD players that will handle MP3's you bascially just copy all the MP3's you want to the CD and yeah, you can get a boatload of MP3's on one CD. Pop that CD into your player and Listen to the Music as the Doobie Brothers say. As to where you get them legally I guess iTunes is as good as any. I usually just rip them from my personal CD's using Music Match Jukebox.

Barometer Soup

Another good song is Jimmy Buffett's Barometer Soup. I see that the songs are 99 cents or less. Someone told me I could get 10 hours on a CD. Lets see, a buck is 5 minutes of music... Dang a $120 CD! I have to think about this a bit. I can get a whole year of XM for that. I typcally buy a couple of $12 CD's a year. Well, I still want to put together a list. Any more favorites? I could post a list of songs on my web site. Looking for songs about flying.

Warren
AHYUP.COM

Who could forget Buffet!

Changes in attitudes!

Mistaica in Jamaica!

Treetop Flier!

:cool: CJ

Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of places I've been.
Visions of good times that brought so much pleasure makes me want to go back again.
If it suddenly ended tomorrow I could somehow adjust to the fall.
Good times and riches and son of a bitches. I've seen more than I can recall. - Jimmy

Re: Flying Tunes

I use a Creative Labs Nomad Zen Jukebox. It stores MP3 format or WMA formatted songs that you transfer using the supplied software for your computer.
No CD's to pack in your flightbag or glovebox. It plugs in to my stereo mini-jack and provides endless music thru the intercom.
I have 1,439 songs currently and have only used 5 gigs of the available 30 gig harddrive.

Mike Reddick
RV6A N167CW

You can also go to Walmart.com for music downloads. Only 88-cents each, but not nearly the selection you have at some of the bigger sites.

Song Pilot

warren hurd said:
Where is the best place to find flying tunes? Songs about flying etc.

Well, you can find songs that mention flying, but for a cool CD with songs that are all about flying I have found none better than:

Dwyane O'Brien's - Song Pilot

2566-300.jpg

I'll second the recommendation for Dwayne O'Brien's Song Pilot CD.

As to the mechanics of MP3's and all that, it seems that a little more explanation is in order for some of our members.

First, MP3 and WMA are just different flavors of compression formats. As a rough guideline, converting the tunes from a regular CD format to MP3 or WMA will reduce the file sizes by a factor of 10. That's why people say you can get 10x as many songs on a CD filled with songs that have been converted to MP3.

A free lunch? Well, not quite. Purists will remind us that you will actually lose a little bit of audio quality in the conversion process. Unless you're a fairly critical listener, I doubt you'll notice the loss. Heck, a bunch of my RVer friends have a hard enough time haring their digital watches and telephones going off. They'd have a hard time distinguishing a CD recording from an old album!

OK, now we're on to players. Two basic types: (1) Fixed storage and (2) Hard drive storage. Most all of these players will play all the different compression formats (WMA, MP3, etc.). The difference is whether or not they have a memory chip or an actual moving hard drive. As a general guide for this moment in time, if the device you're looking at has more than 1 gig of storage capability, then it's got a moving hard drive.

The hard drive players are generally about the size of a pack of cigarettes (plus or minus a little in each dimension). The memory chip players can be really small. The upside to the hard drive players is that hard drive storage is cheaper per Gig of storage than the memory card players.

When people talk about playing tunes on their iPaq, they are saving MP3's to a memory card and then inserting that memory card in their iPaq. I've got an iPaq and can tell you this works quite well.

I've also got a 20Gig hard drive player made by Creative Labs--the same company who makes sound cards for computers. It was a lower cost option to Apple's iPod... about half the price to be more precise.

iRiver makes a memory chip type device that holds 512Mb of songs. It sells for around $150. A 20-30 Gig Creative Labs hard drive player can be had for around $250-300. One "Gig" is equal to about 1000 "Megs".

The other detail that is sometimes lost on those new to the whole portable music scene is the process of converting regular CDs to MP3 or WMA format. This is called "ripping" a CD. The latest Windows Media Player software that comes with this capability already built in. You just insert a regular audio CD into your CD-ROM bay and then click on "rip." Also, any player you buy will probably also come with its own ripping software.

I own about 200 CDs and have my entire collection stored on my computer hard drive and my Creative Labs player. I can't tell you how handy it is to have every CD I own stored on something I can carry in my back pocket. I plug it into my stereo in my truck, at home, and at my hangar. I take it along with me when I travel and also use it as a Walkman when I run.

My RV-8 will definitely have an 1/8" stereo port for an MP3 player as will my Midget Mustang when I finish its restoration.

I know this is long and it's pretty basic for those who are familiar, but I think sometimes some of us techies talk over the heads of some of our less techno-savvy friends.

Best regards,

RW

A most considerate post.

James
... multiple computers, PDA's and players ... just "ripped" over 100 CD's, but still appreciative of someone taking the time for the good of all.

RWoodard said:
I'll second the recommendation for Dwayne O'Brien's Song Pilot CD.

As to the mechanics of MP3's and all that, it seems that a little more explanation is in order for some of our members.

First, MP3 and WMA are just different flavors of compression formats. As a rough guideline, converting the tunes from a regular CD format to MP3 or WMA will reduce the file sizes by a factor of 10. That's why people say you can get 10x as many songs on a CD filled with songs that have been converted to MP3.

A free lunch? Well, not quite. Purists will remind us that you will actually lose a little bit of audio quality in the conversion process. Unless you're a fairly critical listener, I doubt you'll notice the loss. Heck, a bunch of my RVer friends have a hard enough time haring their digital watches and telephones going off. They'd have a hard time distinguishing a CD recording from an old album!

OK, now we're on to players. Two basic types: (1) Fixed storage and (2) Hard drive storage. Most all of these players will play all the different compression formats (WMA, MP3, etc.). The difference is whether or not they have a memory chip or an actual moving hard drive. As a general guide for this moment in time, if the device you're looking at has more than 1 gig of storage capability, then it's got a moving hard drive.

The hard drive players are generally about the size of a pack of cigarettes (plus or minus a little in each dimension). The memory chip players can be really small. The upside to the hard drive players is that hard drive storage is cheaper per Gig of storage than the memory card players.

When people talk about playing tunes on their iPaq, they are saving MP3's to a memory card and then inserting that memory card in their iPaq. I've got an iPaq and can tell you this works quite well.

I've also got a 20Gig hard drive player made by Creative Labs--the same company who makes sound cards for computers. It was a lower cost option to Apple's iPod... about half the price to be more precise.

iRiver makes a memory chip type device that holds 512Mb of songs. It sells for around $150. A 20-30 Gig Creative Labs hard drive player can be had for around $250-300. One "Gig" is equal to about 1000 "Megs".

The other detail that is sometimes lost on those new to the whole portable music scene is the process of converting regular CDs to MP3 or WMA format. This is called "ripping" a CD. The latest Windows Media Player software that comes with this capability already built in. You just insert a regular audio CD into your CD-ROM bay and then click on "rip." Also, any player you buy will probably also come with its own ripping software.

I own about 200 CDs and have my entire collection stored on my computer hard drive and my Creative Labs player. I can't tell you how handy it is to have every CD I own stored on something I can carry in my back pocket. I plug it into my stereo in my truck, at home, and at my hangar. I take it along with me when I travel and also use it as a Walkman when I run.

My RV-8 will definitely have an 1/8" stereo port for an MP3 player as will my Midget Mustang when I finish its restoration.

I know this is long and it's pretty basic for those who are familiar, but I think sometimes some of us techies talk over the heads of some of our less techno-savvy friends.

Best regards,

RW

Tunes to fly by...

I would have to agree with all the previous posts as to good flying music, but if you've had a severe week, and you are trying to chill out with a nice cross-country...you can't beat Enya...any album...great for easy aerobatics. Try it, you'll like it!

Jeff
RV4 Toucan

P.S. To RWoodard...yeah, like you'll ever finish the Midget Mustang...(heh-heh)

jhallrv4 said:
I would have to agree with all the previous posts as to good flying music, but if you've had a severe week, and you are trying to chill out with a nice cross-country...you can't beat Enya...any album...great for easy aerobatics. Try it, you'll like it!

Jeff
RV4 Toucan

P.S. To RWoodard...yeah, like you'll ever finish the Midget Mustang...(heh-heh)

Oh man, the drone of my engine and Enya? I'd be asleep in no time. I actually like Enya and Celtic music in general but her gentle tones just knock me out every time. :)

Back