What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 performance w/o wheel pants and fairings

AirWolf

I've got 8 hours on my 9A with an 0-320 and fixed pitch prop. Max speed (still have to do an Airspeed calibration check, but from groundspeed, it looks very close) is running right at 155kts TAS with no fairings or wheel pants installed.

What have other 9/9A pilots seen without the wheel pants and fiarings installed?

Ron
RV-9A - 8 hours and counting!

Ron

That seems really fast for a 9 without any fairings. That's about 20 knots faster than mine was before fairings. I get about 162 knots TAS with all the fairings, that's with a 160hp engine and a 79" pitch Sensenich at 2580 rpm.

that's pretty fast

Ron: My numbers were not that good without wheel fairings. I get about 155Kts with wheel and intersection fairings except for the nose wheel fairing. Thats at 2450 rpm, fixed pitch sensenich. I'm happy with performance at both ends of the spectrum. Jack

Go to the source

I find Van's performance numbers give an excellent benchmark:

160HP, RV-9A, at 75% pwr @ 8,000 = 162Kts

I have found Van's numbers are not smoke and mirrors but real numbers the average/typical/nominal RV can reach.

I don't know what all the fairings are worth? My guess is 10-12mph (8.7-10.4). So if you pick up 10 kts you will be beating Van's numbers by 3kts. That is possible, reasonable and very good, but it is also with the variation of measuring TAS by common methods.

When reporting TAS it is hard to tell how accurate that value is. If you are just using your airspeed indicator you need to know how accurate the indicated speed is (i.e., CAS-calabrated airspeed or corrected IAS). Airspeed indicators can be off by several knots. Even if the gage is calabrated on a bench, the static system on our little planes tend to have "noise". That is why during flight test of even the biggest planes they drag out a static source on a line behind the aircraft. A suspended static/total press head called the BOMB is feed out on a line pulled behind the plane by 100's of feet to get a good static/total presure readings away from any disturbance.
http://www.spaceagecontrol.com/news100800.htm
for just static they have cones
http://www.spaceagecontrol.com/trailing-cone.htm
NASA notes on how to measure airspeed
http://www.spaceagecontrol.com/naca-tn-616.pdf

If you are using ground speed from a GPS and doing a triangle or 4-leg average to factor the wind out, that might be a little more accurate, but still you can have tolerance with just the GPS speed value alone of 1-2 kts.

The air mass (wind) is not constant (horz dir)through out the legs, so you can have variation of a few kts. Up and down drafts also cause TAS airspeed variation. Air is never perfectly still in any direction.

How accurate is your altimeter? How accurate is your OAT gage? How accurate are your engines gages, MAP & RPM (% pwr)? All these add error.

From what you say you are in the ballpark on the fast side. Also make sure when reporting or comparing you are at really at 8,000' equivalent pressure altitude corrected for pressure and temp (density altitude). Also check you % power against the power chart. If you are fixed pitch and over revving you might be a little more than 75% pwr.

With a standard base line of 8,000' @ 75% power we can compare our performance, but the accuracy will never be within less than a 1-3 kts range, even being careful. So bottom line 155kt dirty is realistic. For the other Gent that is 155kts with fairings, you may be going faster than you think?

Congrats on your Fast RV-9A George

Last edited:
N916K said:
Ron

That seems really fast for a 9 without any fairings. That's about 20 knots faster than mine was before fairings. I get about 162 knots TAS with all the fairings, that's with a 160hp engine and a 79" pitch Sensenich at 2580 rpm.

Cam, What is your empty weight just out of curiosity? My empty weight is 1047lb.

For more info, I am pulling my TAS data from my Dynon D-10A. while I did not record all of the data when I got the 155kt TAS, I know that it was a warm day so most likely I was running at a density altitude of 10k ft or so, and that 155kts was full out (2550 or so...I don't like getting it near the 2600 rpm prop limit for my Sensenich 79")

Last night I ran some airspeed calibration tests, and here is my data (or at least some of it) (ALL Speeds in KTS, Ground speed is from GPS - GNC300XL)

Throttle: 2000 RPM
Alt: 3000MSL
MAP: 18.5 All three runs
Temp: 15C all three runs
360 180 90
IAS 105 106 105
GS 107 120 111
TAS 111 112 110

N-S Averages
113.5 KT GS
111.5 KT TAS

Throttle: 2400 RPM
Alt: 3000MSL
MAP: 24 All three runs
Temp: 16C all three runs
360 180 90
IAS 133 133 133
GS 130 148 137
TAS 140 140 141

N-S Averages
139 KT GS
140 KT TAS

Well, at least from those numbers, it looks like my AS Indicator is prettly close to ground speed. I'm sure that If I did it up at 8k where the air is smoother, I'd probably get better data as well.

Ron

Ron

My weight came out to about 1050 with the fairings. I still don't have paint yet.

I'm not sure what meathod you are using for your ground speed calculations but Keven Horton has a great website with a bunch of flight testing links. A few of the methods let you fly any three tracks. Makes the numbers much more consistant than trying to fly at right angles.

http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/phplinks/index.php?&PID=49

I found that my Dynon TAS was little low at high speeds but pretty close at lower speeds.

Thanks for the link. I had planned on making more airspeed runs anyway, and I am definately going to use the GPS method and spreadsheet.

Ron
RV-9A

Back