What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Canopy Weather Strip

GrayHawk

Well Known Member
Background: Older bought flying RV-6A with tip-up canopy. Canopy rattles at times when landing, etc.

I'd like to replace the old worn weather stripping and carefully check the canopy latching mechanism during this years condition inspection (starting now). It would seem there are two types, the leading edge seal (P channel?) and the side rails (a different channel?).

Can anyone point me in the right direction with part numbers, sources. Two searches on VAF == no useable info, search on Vans site == S88D20X60 but with little info.

Thanks

HDAS*

*(Home Depot Aviation Supply)

We put new weatherstripping on Louise's -6 canopy during the panel and interior upgrade. used the P-Seal up front, and on the sides we used rectangular gray stuff - I'm guessing 3/4"wide by 1/2" thick. Worked really well the sealing is great compared to the old stuff where you could see daylight.

Haven't tried other solutions, but this worked pretty well.

Paul

Try Pete's RV Aviation Products - He sells a P seal that clips onto the angle riveted to the sub panel. I bought a length. Still not flying so don't know if it works. Looks as if it should though. [email protected]
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Still Wiring!!!!

Check Dan C's site. Somewhere on there (I couldn't find it) he lists a really nice clip on weather strip from McMaster Carr.

FWIW, I used this stuff and have no air leaks.

Check Dan C's site. Somewhere on there (I couldn't find it) he lists a really nice clip on weather strip from McMaster Carr.

FWIW, I used this stuff and have no air leaks.
Thanks to everyone... Lots of options....
This is what I found on Dan C site "canopy sides (with McMaster-Carr 1120A712 rubber seal trim)".

I'd like to end up with a tight seal for air, noise, mechanical.

Aft Tiper Seal

I know most seal the forward skin of the tipper as well as the sides, but does anyone use a thin seal for the aft edge around the roll bar?

Jim

On the sides, ACE Hardware P/N 50564 Closed Cell Wide gap foam tape. 3/8 X3/4"X10feet in grey. Looks great

Back