What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turbocharged RV?

iwannarv

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anybody has, or if it is practical to have a turbocharged 200hp RV-7 or any RV and what kind of high-altitude performance they get. I am experimenting with different ideas for an RV-7.

I have a turbocharged Subaru 6A. The turbo is worth about 10-15 extra knots at 10-12,000 feet. To get the bigger gains, you need to suck on oxygen and get up to 18,000+. This is a pain and you need an IFR rating above 18,000. If you don't want to go through the oxygen thing, probably not worth it.

Engine cooling in the climb at high density altitudes may be an issue even with a Lycoming and you'd need an intercooler as well. This will add extra cooling drag, weight etc.

Big advantages are if you fly from high elevation airports or in the mountains in climb performance but a 200hp Lyc with C/S prop gives pretty decent performance up to 10-12K anyway in an RV.

splane2557jp.jpg

RV-8....

how does it work or how WELL does it work? :)

I took this pict at OSH in '03 along with some others. Pretty elaborate huh?

mark

I meant to ask, how well does it work. I see a Rajay E flow compressor and intercooler fed by the big SCAT hose.

RV-8...Greaz'd Lightnin???

I believe this RV-8 is known as "Greaz'd Lightnin" or some spelling similar to that. If it is the same RV-8 that I'm thinking of, it's based in Texas and was featured in EAA Sport Aviation a year or so ago.
Don

I that a turbo or supercharger? It looks like the exhaust system goes right past it, but not into it, which would make it a supercharger.

It's a Rajay turbocharger. The exhaust must make a tight 90 into the turbine inlet and have a tight S coming out the turbine outlet. Hard to see in the photo. Ain't no drive belts down there.

If turbocharged, the exhaust gas inlet connection on the turbine should be closer to the valves than the exhaust pipe for best efficiency- it is not here.

Im curious where the upper (at the 4to1) wrapped y-pipe goes to (the one right next to the compresser)? The lower pipe seems to be connected to the two exhaust ports on each head.

Last edited:
I used to rebuild Rajays and use them in race cars. I can see the stainless foil turbine housing wrap, oil drain fitting going up to a scavenge pump, looks like wastegate control cable at the bottom. Hopefully someone who knows the plane will pipe up here and enlighten us.

"It's a Rajay turbocharger. The exhaust must make a tight 90 into the turbine inlet and have a tight S coming out the turbine outlet. Hard to see in the photo. Ain't no drive belts down there."

You're right of course. No drive belt is going to go that far down. Plus I too can see the thermal heat shield around the turbine housing. That picture sure is decieving though because the exhaust looks like it goes straight out past the turbo.

I'd like to just think out loud about what I'm looking at. (corrections plz?)

The turbo- charger is like a hairdryer-- has a hot side and cold side and the oil section in between holding them together.

the hot side bolts directly to the exhaust- and at some rpm; depending on the hot housing size- the impellors start spinning-- driving the cold side impellor to blow air up-- somewhere-- in this case as mentioned (and I can't see it too clearly so thanks for mentioning it) it goes to an intercooler and then into the intake system.

in the pict-- I assumed that there's a 3" black hose open ended-- that's where the fresh gets sucked in-- the red powder coated "cold side" housing.

and then for safety, somewhere there should be a waste gate to keep from over pressuring the cylinders.

that's what i'm thinking.

mark

mark,
You are mistaken to believe the turbocharger acts like a windmill- the gas flow is not what powers the turbine; turbos are powered by waste exhaust heat- gas increses density as it cools. There is a significant drop in temperature between the intake and exhaust gas ports on the turbine- that is the energy conversion that utimately spins the compressor wheel. Some of the noise energy is also conveted- noise drops approx 1/2 thru the turbine.

The center section houses the bearings that support the impellers, it cools the bearings/housing to some extent with oil (and sometimes water too) flow.

mark manda said:
I'd like to just think out loud about what I'm looking at. (corrections plz?)

The turbo- charger is like a hairdryer-- has a hot side and cold side and the oil section in between holding them together.

the hot side bolts directly to the exhaust- and at some rpm; depending on the hot housing size- the impellors start spinning-- driving the cold side impellor to blow air up-- somewhere-- in this case as mentioned (and I can't see it too clearly so thanks for mentioning it) it goes to an intercooler and then into the intake system.

in the pict-- I assumed that there's a 3" black hose open ended-- that's where the fresh gets sucked in-- the red powder coated "cold side" housing.

and then for safety, somewhere there should be a waste gate to keep from over pressuring the cylinders.

that's what i'm thinking.

mark

The red housing at the bottom in the photo is the compressor housing. This contains the compressor wheel. Air is inducted through that short piece of black hose, compressed and fed through tha piece of SCAT snaking up just behind the rearmost exhaust tube to an intercooler which looks to be fed by the 4 inch SCAT hose and black box like plenum. From the intercooler, it looks like the compressed air is routed forward through the smaller SCAT hose to the chrome pipe and into the aluminum plenum at the front. Injected or carb, I can't tell. Black induction tubes carry compressed mixture up into the heads.

Exhaust to drive turbine wheel comes down the 4 primary tubes wrapped, must make a sharp 90 into the turbine housing which is likely fitted with a butterfly style, cable controlled manual wastegate. Cable seen at bottom of photo. Exhaust passes through turbine housing and must have a sharp S bend to exit out normal belly exit duct. Turbine and compressor wheels are connected by common shaft.

another view

(click to enlarge, view of oil cooler and big tube goes to intercooler)

Intercooler takes the air off the turbo charger (the compressed or "tubo-ed" air for engine intake) and cools it before going into the engine. Air is heated when compressed. The intercooler cools the air before going into the engine's air intake. The cooler the air the more dense, better the performance. Besides loss of performance and pumping pre heated turbo air into an aircraft air-cooled engine can cause problems.

G :eek:

Last edited:
correction

The TIO-390X is really a TNIO-390X and it is only offered through Lancair, who have built their Legacy Fixed Gear around it. It is one of Lycomings "specialty" non-certified engines that are offered only through kit builders. This engine, however, can also be custom made in Lycoming's Thunderbolt shop.

There is an IO-390-A1A6 that has just been certified by the FAA. It has the same footprint as many of the 360 models, is rated at 210 H.P. and weighs 316 pounds according to Lycoming. This is lighter than the average 360 model (330 lbs.) and way lighter than the 360 turbo @ 380 lbs.

Richard

Wow! Thread from 3 years ago when I had hardly any clue about rv's and me and dad were randomly coming up with ideas for a 'potential' future rv. Amazing how much I've learned and gained from this site and aviation in genereal.

Anybody looking at turbocharged options there have been several threads with good information, can be found with a quick search

Yeah, I wear a chute, helmet and Nomex for test flying. The helmet was converted for civilian audio impedance but the sound quality is not great for some reason, ditto the mic. Not sure why. Wouldn't be too hard to fit some more modern DC kit to.

The visor is nice and there is room for a mask too if you want.

Probably not something you'd want to wear on long XC flights.

I got my stuff here: http://www.aviationhelmets.com/

Really good people to deal with and great service.

Back