What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New ECI Cold Air Induction and Sump

robbieattaway

Will be available very soon from ECI. I am very impressed with the quality of this all metal system. I will be testing it in a couple of weeks on my RV6. We will have a price in about a month and we expect it to be very reasonable as are all ECI products. Also pictured is the new ECI EXP fuel injection system that will be available in a few months when testing is complete. You can see a picture I took at Oshkosh at www.attawayair.com

Last edited:
I looked at the cold air induction from ECI at OSH, and I'll soon be in line to buy one! It's really top notch and lightweight too - me thinks much more highly of that then going with a plastic sump.

Cheers,
Stein.

More information ?

Hello Robbie

Do you have more exact numbers/information?

- How much does it weight or how much is the weightdifference to standart oilsump?

- Does the flange for the throttlebody is standart, so that AF, Silverhawk or Bendix will also fit?

- How big is the Oilcapacity compared to the standart one?

- Any other information about this "cool" part?

I'm VERY interested in this very nice looking part! It looks that the Oilsump is more to the side, unter the cylinders. Is there no restriction in cooling air flow? Would be nice if someone have more pictures and could show it here.

Thanks alot

Dominik
Wings RV-7A

ECi Sump

Dominik, Sorry I am so long to get back to you. I've been working on my RV6.
The system is 2 lbs lighter and Bendix, AFP will fit the same as others sumps.
Oil quanity is the same. No cost figures have been announced. I will be able to fly my RV6 withe the new system useing my Bendix FI system in about 10 days and will post the test numbers on my web site www.attawayair.com .
In 6 weeks I should have the new ECi Fuel Injection System which is also 3lbs. lighter, installed to compare the two systems.

Thanks, Robbie

new eci oil sump & Injection system

Just called my contact at ECI, he just told me last week or so that these items will not be forsale if your not buying the whole engine.. so its total package or nothing.. I was and still am very disapointed if there is a way around this, I sure would like to know about it.. anybody ?

Danny..

Last edited:
Robbie,
Does the new sump land the servo in the same place in the nacelle as the standard Lycoming one and therefore will all of Vans air box stuff fit without modification? Does the standard Vans vetterman exhaust fit the engine without modification? Does Vans throttle and mixture control bracing work with this sump or do you have to make your own?
Do you think the flange of the intake manifold will be stout enough for long-term support of the weight and arm of the Bendix servo. It looked absolutely OK for the ECI throttle control w2hich is a lot smaller and lighter then the Bendix one but after a quick look at OSH, I thought it might be a little thin for the Bendix..what do you think? I haven't looked that close or measured anything, just a quick observation.
Wow, does you engine have a rotary fuel pump? Or are you going to change out the accessory housing and fuel pump drive to accommodate the ECI fuel pump system after such a short period of running the Bendix system and the standard diaphragm fuel pump? Or did you change while installing the sump?
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts
are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

New ECi Sump

Mahlon,
I have been using the Sky Dynamics Maxi Sump with the cold air induction and Bendix FI system. Today I continued the installation process of the ECi sump and cold air induction with the Bendix FI system. It appears that the Bendix servo sets 1.3 inches lower and 1 inch aft of the Sky Dynamics setup. I don't know how this differs from the Van's air box setup. I think the Van's air box may need to be modified for the ECi system. Van's mixture and throttle brackets will work with a little modification.
The flange of the intake manifold may be strong enough but I am making a brace to go from the servo bolts to the bottom of the engine bolts for the Bendix servo. I still plan to use the same type brace with the ECi servo because of the weight and arm of a canister type filter that I will use. Yes, later I will change the accessory housing and use the ECi rotary fuel pump as it is a integral part of the ECi fuel injection system. I had a chance to fly ECi's RV8 with the new FI system last week and I was impressed with the smoothness of operation throughout the RPM ranges.
Happy Landings, Robbie

Thanks Robbie for all the information.

On the ECi Homepage is now a short description about the system.

Dominik

PS: How about pictures Robbie?

Back