What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Order 8130.2D - need some practical assistance in interpreting

kleecker

I am looking to purchase an RV-6 which has never seen more aerobatics than an aileron roll. Digging into 8130D.2D, I found the following:

......."(15) This aircraft is prohibited from aerobatic flight, that is, an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in the aircraft?s attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration not necessary for normal flight.

NOTE: If the builder states that the aircraft is capable of aerobatic flight, limitation 16 will be used in lieu of limitation 15.

(16) This aircraft may conduct aerobatic flight in accordance with the provisions of ? 91.303. Aerobatics must not be attempted until sufficient flight experience has been gained to establish that the aircraft is satisfactorily controllable and in compliance with ? 91.319(b). The aircraft may only conduct those aerobatic flight maneuvers that have been satisfactorily accomplished during flight testing and recorded in the aircraft maintenance records by use of the following, or a similarly worded, statement: ?I certify that the following aerobatic maneuvers have been test flown and that the aircraft is controllable throughout the maneuvers? normal range of speeds, and is safe for operation. The flight-tested aerobatic maneuvers are _________, _________, __________, and __________.?
"

I'm sure that many RV buyers (and perhaps some builders) have no knowledge about this order. What has been the take on this, w.r.t. RV's? Can the paperwork be modified as maneuvers are completed, at any point in the aircraft's life, regardless of who owns the plane, or are the maneuvers limited (legally) to what was performed during the stated 'flight testing' period?

I am looking to purchase an RV-6 which has never seen more aerobatics than an aileron roll. Digging into 8130D.2D, I found the following:

......."(15) This aircraft is prohibited from aerobatic flight, that is, an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in the aircraft’s attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration not necessary for normal flight.

NOTE: If the builder states that the aircraft is capable of aerobatic flight, limitation 16 will be used in lieu of limitation 15.

(16) This aircraft may conduct aerobatic flight in accordance with the provisions of § 91.303. Aerobatics must not be attempted until sufficient flight experience has been gained to establish that the aircraft is satisfactorily controllable and in compliance with § 91.319(b). The aircraft may only conduct those aerobatic flight maneuvers that have been satisfactorily accomplished during flight testing and recorded in the aircraft maintenance records by use of the following, or a similarly worded, statement: “I certify that the following aerobatic maneuvers have been test flown and that the aircraft is controllable throughout the maneuvers’ normal range of speeds, and is safe for operation. The flight-tested aerobatic maneuvers are _________, _________, __________, and __________.”
"

I'm sure that many RV buyers (and perhaps some builders) have no knowledge about this order. What has been the take on this, w.r.t. RV's? Can the paperwork be modified as maneuvers are completed, at any point in the aircraft's life, regardless of who owns the plane, or are the maneuvers limited (legally) to what was performed during the stated 'flight testing' period?

You can put the aircraft back into Phase 1 (all Phase 1 restrictions apply, no passengers, etc), demonstrate that the aircraft is capable of safely flying the maneuvers you wish to add, then make a notation to that effect in the aircraft log book. At that point, the plane can be returned to Phase Two, and you are now legal for the new maneuvers. You can comply with this process without dealing with the FSDO or a DAR.

The only caveat to the above is I'm not positive if this is possible if the plane has the old operating limitations that were issued several years ago. I bet Mel can clear up this question.

Calling Mel.......... :)

Last edited:
Not Necessarily

You can put the aircraft back into Phase 1 (all Phase 1 restrictions apply, no passengers, etc), demonstrate that the aircraft is capable of safely flying the maneuvers you wish to add, then make a notation to that effect in the aircraft log book. At that point, the plane can be placed back into Phase Two, and you are now legal for the new maneuvers.
It depends on how the operating limitations were issued initially. If paragraph 15 was used, then the airplane will need a recurrent airworthiness inspection. If the owner can convince the DAR that the aircraft was built according to aerobatic specifications, then the new operating limitations can be issued using paragraph 16 instead.
If paragraph 16 was issued initially then the aircraft may simply be put back into phase I as you stated.
The operating limitations issued to that particular airplane is the controlling document.
If your operating limitations state that "aerobatic maneuvers are prohibited", you cannot change that on your own.

......."(15) This aircraft is prohibited from aerobatic flight, that is, an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in the aircraft?s attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration not necessary for normal flight.

(16) This aircraft may conduct aerobatic flight in accordance with the provisions of ? 91.303. Aerobatics must not be attempted until sufficient flight experience has been gained to establish that the aircraft is satisfactorily controllable and in compliance with ? 91.319(b). The aircraft may only conduct those aerobatic flight maneuvers that have been satisfactorily accomplished during flight testing and recorded in the aircraft maintenance records by use of the following, or a similarly worded, statement: ?I certify that the following aerobatic maneuvers have been test flown and that the aircraft is controllable throughout the maneuvers? normal range of speeds, and is safe for operation. The flight-tested aerobatic maneuvers are _________, _________, __________, and __________.?
"

I think most builders are aware of this limitation. It is part of the certification process and has been in affect for some time. The original 8130D came out in 1999 but I don't know when these limitations were inserted. The document is on its 3rd revision, the last being in 2001. If this particular 6 was certified before 1999, it may not be an issue.

As Mel says, check the operating limitations and the aircraft log book to see if it has been complied with. If not, ask the builder (assuming he is the seller) to do it if that's what you want. It would be no big deal to make a log book entry back to phase one testing, performing the maneuvers, and signing it off.

If the original builder is not on the scene, perhaps you can do it as I know the builder is not required to do the flight testing. He can hire someone if he so chooses. What is unknown is whether or not you would have authority to put it back into phase one. Seems to me an owner, not the builder, can make log book entries concerning maintenance but not including the annual condition inspection. Perhaps if you just did it, no one would make a big deal of it. If you ask, it will be a big deal because there may be no clear answer.

New airworthiness

I know of a -4 that had a restrictive set of limitations.
The second owner got a new airworthiness certifacate and flew off another 40 hr phase one. This happened in Texas in 2003.

8130.2F Chg3

Actually 8130.2 is now up to "F" revision with change 3.
8130.2D has been outdated for some time.

Intial Paperwork

If you want to fly some aerobatics in your RV, say to Sportsman leval in the IAC, what is the proper way to do the paperwork when initially getting your airworthiness certificate?

I have not seen the mention of 8130.2 only Form 8130-6 APPLICATION FOR U.S. AIRWORTHINESS.

Where and when would you do what to make you legal to do aerobatics?

Are Normal, Utility and Aerobatic catagories applicabale to experimental?

Confused! Those that know please chime in!

Thank you

Ted

When you apply for the airworthiness inspection, you will submit form 8130.6 which is the application, and a program letter. The program letter is to define your "experimental program". In this letter you will ask for operating limitations allowing aerobatics. The DAR will include the paragraph allowing aerobatics in your operating limitations. If you have a "one off" design, you may be asked to show engineering data confirming that the aircraft is capable of aerobatic flight loads. If you have a kit aircraft, usually the aircraft designer will state whether or not the aircraft meets these limits.
8130.2F is the "bible" that the inspector goes by when issuing airworthiness certificates. All limitations within 8130.2F must be applied. The inspector may include other limitations depending on the aircraft and/or builder. For example, when I certify a pressurized aircraft that has not had the interior installed, I will limit the aircraft no non-pressurized operations. After the interior is installed, I want to see the aircraft again to insure that the "pressure vessel" has not been comprimized by a screw penetration during the interior installation.

Last edited:
Back