What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is D180 all I need?

N787R

What is the minimum equipment that I would need to satisfy DAR for phase one?
Currently I have Dynon D180, a single Com and transponder.
Do I need anything else? Like compass, hobb meter .....

Thanks

Ben

what the FAA requires

It seems that I remember something about the regs stating you must have an oil pressure gauge and, I think, a compass, but as far as other instruments there are things you would like and things required. A GPS is not required but might be nice to have. You don't even need a radio or a transponder if you do not plan on flying into controlled airspace. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in here. Good Luck.

What is the minimum equipment that I would need to satisfy DAR for phase one?
Currently I have Dynon D180, a single Com and transponder.
Do I need anything else? Like compass, hobb meter .....

Thanks

Ben
Add an ELT and you are good to go for daytime VFR.
Actually the ELT is not required for phase I, but if you don't have it the DAR will likely issue an airworthiness certificate limited to phase I. Then you will have to get a recurrent airworthiness for phase II.

Thanks guys.

Mel I already have ELT just forgot to mention it.
D180 has oil pressure sensor on it.
As far as other equipment, yes I plan to install full IFR set shortly after just not at this time.
So from what I said here I take it that ELT and D180 should be good enough for day VFR (phase I & II)

(I do not have a liquid compass either).
Thanks again.

Ben

Last edited:
Liquid compass not required for experimental amateur-built.

For IFR and or night VFR part 91 requires a "magnetic indicating device." The Dynon meets this requirement.

Back