What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wolfe Airpark?

Juicegoose

Well Known Member
Guys In my search for airparks in the area i came across this one. does anyone know anybody that lives on this airpark that could shed some light on it for me. Is it a pretty active airfield or what. Just curious

I'm familiar with it, but know nobody that lives there

Since I work in the New Orleans area, shortly after hurricane Katrina, I relocated to Houston for work. I turned my house over to three unfortunate families and got an apartment in Houston. I came home every weekend to take care of friends and family.

Since there were no flights into and out of the aerea, (OK, and since I love to fly anyway) I was using my trusty Cardinal to commute to and from the Houson area. This was truly a time that I felt blessed to be involved in GA. Especially looking down onto the gridlock during evacuations while I was cruising along at 130.

I went into search mode and found some hangar space at Wolfe.

I did not get to know people who lived there very well, but I made several friends that fly out of there. This is one of those special places with fantastic aviation charachters. You can find "Uncle Willy at the main hangar. He has been involved for years with the T-6's s that were converted to Nakajima Kates for the movie Tora Tora Tora. Three of them are based there, and participate in the national airshow circuit. These guys are a hoot! They also have many other really cool planes and people at Wolfe, many who do not live there.

I am now back home, but if I ever move to Houston, I will not live on Wolfe, but it will be my second home.

thanks buddy I was activated during Katrina and served as security detail for the George R. Brown convention center for 2 weeks. Needless to say it was a sight.

I fly out of the next airport to the east, Clover Field. I did touch-n-go's at Wolfe in a Cub while I was a student and have landed there several times in my -8. The best person to respond would be Bryan (Low Pass). He used to base his RV-8 and Cub there but he doesn't post much any more.

Wolfe is a small grass strip with hangars on the east side and homes/hangars on the west. I knew a guy that built a home/hangar there but haven't talked to him since. It looks like the people on the west have limited access... that may be wrong but that's the way it looks when you fly in.

The runway is very nice grass with a fairly severe crown. The crown helps the heavy rain run off but also makes aircraft head for the ditch if your not right on top of the crown. Some of the taxiways have been paved but I think some are still gravel (on the east side). The county roads are not well taken care of and do flood occasionally.

I don't know what else to report. If your really interested you need to drive around and try to talk to some of the home owners who have runway access.

AOPA airport directory doen't have a contact number. Airnav shows the airport manager is Will Bonefas at 281-489-7647

Hope this helps,

Karl

Thanks guys for the post. I'm going Friday to look at the home currently for sale there and if the price is right i'll pick it up. Then empenage here i come! I've already got approval for it and everything

downside of the house is there is no inside stair system to the first floor, you have to walk outside to go downstairs. Not to much of a problem for a single guy but for a family it be a pain i'm sure

I have built a 40X24 2 story barn/shop although i almost slide off the roof putting on metal roofing not fun. so yes i'm sure stairs wouldn't be a problem heheheh!

I looked at that house

It's pretty rough. Lots of dry rot and the house smells like a pig lives there, because a pig actually does live there. It's a geodestic dome, which is very hard to weatherproof, and it looks like this one leaks, too. The "hanger" is really just a long narrow garage. You could put a 24' door in the end, but an RV is the only plane you'd ever be able to put in it. The owner said he'd make the opening but you'd have to buy the door. The taxiway/road is made of that kind of large gravel that seems to have been specially designed to eat props.

I passed on it, but I guess it's a matter of how much work you're willing to put into it.

There's a bunch of vacant lots there. I wondered why there were none for sale.

Thats exactly what i was afraid of. The realtor said there was some exterior rot on a section but that was it. I'll be taking agood look at it as well. I feel the same way i noticed that there were lots of lots on the satellite image i saw but like you stated none for sale and i to wonder why? I might go talk to a neighbor or something and see if they have any info

It's pretty rough. Lots of dry rot and the house smells like a pig lives there, because a pig actually does live there. It's a geodestic dome, which is very hard to weatherproof, and it looks like this one leaks, too. The "hanger" is really just a long narrow garage. You could put a 24' door in the end, but an RV is the only plane you'd ever be able to put in it. The owner said he'd make the opening but you'd have to buy the door. The taxiway/road is made of that kind of large gravel that seems to have been specially designed to eat props.

I passed on it, but I guess it's a matter of how much work you're willing to put into it.

There's a bunch of vacant lots there. I wondered why there were none for sale.

There have been some lawsuits flying around thanks to a couple of people who live near the geodesic dome home. One person that I know who has a flight school owned a lot there so that he could let his students land on a grass runway. There's also an issue of the flooding that occurs on the northern entry to the airport during heavy rains. From what I've gathered, it's bad enough that you probably wouldn't want to drive that way unless you had a vehicle that was lifted quite a bit and even then, a snorkel system might be advisable (along with a vehicle interior that you could just hose down). The road / taxiway on the east side of the airport is soggy enough even in non-flooding rains that you will appreciate a 4WD truck with good ground clearance. There's not really a reason to taxi an aircraft along that road, so it's probably not an issue for aircraft. Plus, you wing would probably hit the fence over there anyway, especially with a low wing aircraft.

I was wanting to build a hangar on the east side of the runway, but I wanted it to be large enough that I could have a 2nd floor that was a living area. Unfortunately, they have rules that say you can't do that and if you build a house on the west side of runway, you have other HOA rules that you have to adhere to. I'm not a big fan of HOAs anyway. I have had too many bad experiences with the HOA Nazis and I would just as well avoid them if at all possible. Most of the people that I know over there are just hangar owners, not home owners, and they are pretty good people.

The houses on the west side of the airport are not very high end. I think that there might be one or two that are fairly recent and would meet my wife's criteria as an acceptable dwelling, but most are not that great. The geodesic dome home is definitely not one of them. I would classify the owner of it as kind of like the rural guys you see up in East Texas where they have a car up on blocks in the front yard. In fact, I remember a couple of years ago, he actually did have an aircraft up on blocks in his front yard. I remember seeing it for a couple of years when I was flying around in that area, IIRC.

Last I heard, there was a problem with the city screwing up and zoning things incorrectly, so that might have made people a bit hesitant to buy there. It's been awhile since that happened, so maybe it has been corrected by now.

Back