What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

West Palm Beach

brianwallis

VAF moderator
Hi Guys, I'm going to be driving from ATL to West Palm Beach for a job interview teaching helicopters (perm move but with same company) I'm wondering if you all have any suggestions. If I stay there I will need to find the closest EAA chapter etc... and some RV builders. I teach Jet MX in ATL but I was a Blackhawk crewchief in the service and I'm finding it hard not to return to my roots(rotor) as far as a job is concerned... I should be there Tues-Wed of this week.... Feel free to call me as I dont have a clue where to stay or where to hang out or where not to go... if you catch my drift. I'll have to relocate my 7a project down there too.... if things go according to plan...
Best
Brian Wallis
404-405-1315
or email me at brianpwallis at gmail.com

Brian,

I don't know about WPB itself, but I do know that there is a fairly active EAA chapter down around Ft. Lauderdale (about 45 min south of WBP). There are a number of RV builders/flyers down that way.

If nobody from that group responds to this thread, send me a PM and I'll forward it to someone I know down there.

I've not spent a whole lot of time around Palm Beach, but done a little bit of airport bumming here and there; you might try poking around Palm Beach County (KLNA) just south of PBI in Lantana. It's a busy GA airport with both fixed and rotary wing flight schools, plus lotsa hangars and a full tiedown ramp. Last time I wandered around there I saw numerous experimentals and rag wing taildraggers scattered around. Good thing I didn't have to buy gas there though; Airnav has it priced at $5.33/gallon. Woof.

As for a few other airports down that way, Boca Raton and Lauderdale Exec are big money corporate jet airports, while Pompano Beach had a few "fun" airplanes on the ramp, might be worth a look. Just northwest of PBI is North Palm Beach (L45), but I never made it up there to poke around...

Good luck!

The premier RC scale event, Top Gun, used to be held at the West Palm Polo Field. I went there one year and it was fantabulous!! I think they may have had to find another venue however due to a model plane crashing into someone's roof. :(

Back