What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to change c/s prop position

odlee

Well Known Member
I know I've seen comments on repositioning the prop while doing maintenance, etc. I am riveting the plate behind the blades prior to mounting the spinner. I got the prop to move slightly, then no go. Any suggestions to move it further, back to flat pitch would be preferred. The broomstick method worked in one direction, not in reverse. I can afford a broken broomstick, but not another new prop!

Thanks,
David

Hi David.
Not sure of just what you are looking for but I'll give it s shot :).

The prop 'should' already be at flat pitch with no oil pressure on it. If you're trying to rotate the blades to make your prop root cut outs in the spinner and behind the spinner......I use a couple of boards. I took a 1x4 and cut it to about 3' long. Then I took another piece about 1' long and screwed it to the end of the 1st piece with a couple 1" wood spacers between the 2 boards. I tape some plastic over the blades and wrap a towel over them. Then I take the wood 'tool' and slide it over one blade and just lever it around. I have two of these and use one board on each blade.

Basically, just make some kind of lever so you can turn the blade(s) without scratching anything....unless you don't care about scratches :). I've seen folks use a couple of those Craftsman strap type oil filter wrenches as well.

Thanks Rick,

I am trying to rivet the cut out behind the prop. I'll give it a try. It was just difficult to move back to the flat pitch position and I want to be sure that the prop was ok to move.

Regards,
David

Spinner

Dave,
Prior to cutting my spinner, I contacted Hartzell , they provided, E Mail, a template, to scale ,of the required blade profile. Unfortunatly, I do not have the E mail (hard Drive Crashed) Give them a call, they vere very helpfull.
Dick

Back