What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Generic newbie autopilot questions

Lionclaw

Well Known Member
I'll be getting to work on my wings when I get home in a few weeks and I'm trying to get my head wrapped around a few things.

I'm completely sold on the idea of an autopilot for heading and wing leveling. I'm looking at the Trio EZ Pilot for this.

When during wing contruction would it be wise to purchase this, and do I need to buy or build any sort of special mounting kit?

I'm not completely sold on the ALT Hold system. Considering the extra cost, for someone like myself with a limited budget, would anyone argue that it's a must have?

Andy,

Not sure about the Trio system, but I purchased and installed the servo brackets for my two-axis TruTrak system before closing up the wing. Should make it easier to install the servo later. Brackets were available separately for $50 for the pair, so it is not costly to put them in now and wait for the lotto to purchase the remainder of the system.

greg

I'll be getting to work on my wings when I get home in a few weeks and I'm trying to get my head wrapped around a few things.

I'm completely sold on the idea of an autopilot for heading and wing leveling. I'm looking at the Trio EZ Pilot for this.

When during wing contruction would it be wise to purchase this, and do I need to buy or build any sort of special mounting kit?

I'm not completely sold on the ALT Hold system. Considering the extra cost, for someone like myself with a limited budget, would anyone argue that it's a must have?

Andy, I commend you on deciding to include an autopilot on your plane. I think it is one of the most functional items you can have in your panel. The EZ-Pilot is a fine choice and you will really enjoy using it. The pitch autopilot is not necessary, but sure is nice. :)

The servo is easy to add at any time to a 9A wing, plenty of room in the inspection panels or you can mount the servo at the outboard wingtip. In the old days when I built my RV-6 it was important to build the servo mount as the wing was being built due to limited access, but that is not the case with the newer wings.

If you wish to postpone the autopilot purchase you can do so knowing it can be easily added later, just keep it in mind when you install wiring conduit in your plane so you can break out the servo wiring in the wing.

Andy,

I have the Trio mounted in my 9A QB wing, at the bellcrank, and I mounted the servo when wiring the wing. Very easy and no problem at all. I had to fab brackets for the servo, but had enough angle offcuts to do this very easily.
The Trio is a fantastic AP, with many advanced features that I think the TT doesn't have. Mine has been extremely useful and very accurate in flight, and, like TT, the customer service from the factory is fantastic. Talks and plays well with my GPS and GRT.

I have just installed the AH, and hope to test fly it this weekend. If its anything like the wing leveller, it'll be great, and there are different grades at different prices. Upgrades can be had at the price differentials as well.

Allan

RE:TRIO Service

Andy

Give trio a call and they will give you some great tips and hints on how to proceed. I bought the servos first and installed them (Both roll and altitude hold). As I got closer to the panel end of things I purchased the instruments. Gave me a year plus to save for the instruments. I have not flown yet...(getting close).....so I have no first hand knowledge of Trio's real world servicability. I know that all that have used the trio's and have made forum comments have had high praise. I can also add the customer service is top notch......

Frank @ SGU RV7A ..........100000000000 last details

FWIW I spoke to Tony at SafeAir1 regarding the purchase of the Trio roll servo and their mounting kit. He suggested that I wait, as the servo and mounting kit can be added at any time down the road (as Sam has said). This was good news as I wasn't too excited about spending $700 on a servo just for it to sit around in the wing for a few years. Good luck!

Wow! Lots of great feedback. I really appreciate all of the information you guys provide. It sounds like waiting might be the thing to do. I'll give the Trio folks a call and look over the TruTrak offerings again before making a final decision.

Wow! Lots of great feedback. I really appreciate all of the information you guys provide. It sounds like waiting might be the thing to do. I'll give the Trio folks a call and look over the TruTrak offerings again before making a final decision.

And while you're waiting...

Get some cross-country flights with someone who has an RV and altitude hold. Then you'll want one for sure! :D

That's what happened to me. I had the "wing leveler" for my un-finished plane, and then got a lot of long cross-country flights in a 9A with altitude hold. I now have both.

L.Adamson --RV6A

my opinion:
vfr -- no
ifr -- yes

you could start without, and add the altrak later for ~$2k.

Another perspective.

Actually I had a wing leveler in my -6 for several years and took it out. To be honest, I like to fly and very seldom used it. Now, if you do a lot of solo cross country, it's nice to have during map reading, etc. Since Ann is a pilot and flies almost everywhere I do, we just swap out.
As far as altitude hold, one of my weaknesses is holding altitude, therefore this would tempt me to use it. And honestly, I need the practice.
Bottom line;
Nice to have...yes
Necessary.......no
IFR.................DEFINITELY YES

I have both the roll and alt hold Trios and don't think you can beat 'em. I wasn't thrilled at first with the alt hold, I mean, big deal, I can trim it out just fine. But I have some problems with rapid descents--bothers my ears and always has. It is really great to dial in 400 fpm down and forget about it. You won't regret anything, although your bank account may. I mounted the wing servo after finishing the wings and it wasn't hard. Alt servo, same thing, although it might be easies to mount either of them before closing.

Bob Kelly

my autopilot install

I think there are no wrong choices here, but here is what I did. Maybe it will help you in your choices:

First I bought the Trutrak right wing servo bracket

Next I went to OSH and changed my mind.:D While there, I bought the Trio servo and (almost) the Safeair installation kit.

Just before closing the wings, and after some extensive discussions with both Trio and Vans, I decided the best solution for me was to mount the Trio servo directly to the web of the wing spar, in the same bay as the bellcrank. This was really very easy and resulted in a simple, clean, light, strong installation with a very short pushrod. All the necessary hardware came with the Trio servo (so I didn't have to spend $1xx on the Safeair kit :eek:). You can easily install / remove the servo through the bellcrank access panel.

I you are considering the Trio gold servo - I'd encourage you to buy it first and see where it fits best for you. If you need pictures of my install, PM me.

Good Luck, and if you want to buy my TruTrak bracket, let me know!

Now I need to figure out how to mount the pitch servo.....

Back