What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Hard Knocks of R&D

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I stumbled onto this fascinating website on the Carter Copter: http://www.cartercopters.com/press_release_index.html

These press releases cover the development of the aircraft in agonizing detail. The number of problems to solve and technical setbacks are staggering but most are eventually overcome and most of the goals are met. Of particular interest is the battle with engine problems, first with a turbocharged 90 degree V6, then a LS1 then a LS7 (not LS6 as stated). Various modifications and teardowns were done and there were plenty of failures both hard and soft over the several years of hard, high rpm use- rods, oil pressure, bearings, rings, valves, ECU programming, fires etc.

Sounds like they could have used someone more experienced with engines and turbos as they had lots of problems that could have been more easily avoided like using too hot a spark plug heat range and piston design issues.

Still, an interesting glimpse on what it takes to develop and validate new technology.:)

For you guys who just bolt on a Lycoming, you may appreciate more on what it takes to do work like this, especially for a small company or individual.

I hear you Ross!

You guys that start with an engine and build a mount and start putting the pieces together from there just amaze me. After what I went through to get a "firewall forward" auto conversion working, I can understand a bit more of what it would be like to really do it from scratch.

I see the industry maturing to a point where it will be much easier to do than it was in the past, with many more PSRU options available, and more auto conversions flying and building time. As people like you get their projects working and share their knowledge as you have done, it makes it easier for us normal folks to consider taking on such a project!

Actually I would like to do it someday, off in the future a ways. I just got my project back in the air after some gearbox problems. Hopefully those are behind me and I can really begin to enjoy flying behind that smooth power plant.

Thanks for helping when you have, and sharing your project developement on your website.

Randy C
RV7A with STI Subaru Power

For you guys who just bolt on a Lycoming, you may appreciate more on what it takes to do work like this, especially for a small company or individual.

I am one of those guys who just bolted on a Lycoming, but I certainly agree with Ross on this. I was fortunate enough to be at Olney taking my radio in for some work when the Carter Copter was there for flight testing. This was a year or so ago. Larry Neal, their chief test pilot took me to lunch and we had a great visit. After lunch, and before they started their testing, I took him for a ride in my 6-A. Larry said he really enjoyed it, and offered to take me for a ride in a tandem gyrocopter he is selling but I just haven't gotten up there to take him up on it.

Unfortunately, they had some technical problems with the testing probes and wiring so I didn't get to see the Cartercopter fly, but they did run it up on the ground, and let me tell you, the Corvette engine, huge rotor, etc, was pretty impressive to me.

Back