What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thank You!

CarlosF@grtavionics

Todd and I just got back from the Sebring LSA Expo Sunday night. We had a good time looking at the light sport aircraft from a variety of manufacturers including Cessna, Cirrus and a number of designs from outside of the US. There was a lot of activity, even with the less than favorable weather; cloudy and cool for most of the show.

The high light of the trip was being able to visit my parents in Naples. I wouldn't have been able to do this if it wasn't for David Jones offering to take me in his RV-10. It's outfitted with triple GRT Horizons, 480, 330 traffic, dual AHRS, TT VSGV, a fresh paint job and interior.

Van's got it right again with the 10. We had my baggage, full fuel and three of us in the plane. It took off smartly and climbed very well. It flies like a big airplane yet responsive, like an RV should. (RV grin)

The trip down to Naples took a little over 30 minutes from Punta Gorda; an hour and a half trip by car. The best part of the flight was showing David a couple features of the GRT Horizon like the Altitude Intercept Arc and map ranging, features he hadn't used yet.

While we were cruising along ATC called out traffic at our 4 o'clock position and 6 miles. "No joy." A few seconds later the traffic alert popped up on the GRT Horizon showing a target at our 5 to 6 o'clock and closing. It closed in on us and 100 feet below. It turned out to be a friend of David's in a 7a taking pictures of his new paint job as his joined up on our left wing and few hundred feet away. We had a pretty sight of his 7a as I'm sure he had of us, I only wish I had my camera in hand. After his friend peeled off we continued on to Naples. I setup the synthetic approach and watched as David flew the boxes to a crosswind landing, a nice one at that.

Thank you David! My parents couldn't had been more surprised. Next time mom says you have to stay for dinner. See you at Sun-n-Fun.

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

Look out Carlos...the next step is ordering preview plans....then a tail kit....and then all hope is lost!

I'm sure you can get a good deal on your EFIS though....:)

Last edited:
Back