What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Refinishing & Balancing Wood Prop

L'Avion

Well Known Member
The prop on my RV-3 appears to be the original Pacesetter and is in need of a facelift.

Can anyone point me to some refinishing and static balancing techiques?

Thanks,
Barney

Prop refinishing

I refinished an old Pacesetter prop as a home brew project for my RV under construction. I was enticed by the challenge, and I like woodworking more than sheet metal so it was sort of fun. I have been contemplating purchasing a new fixed pitch MT prop instead, so my Pacesetter might become a wall decoration in my office. Still might use it.. pondering props. I contacted Sensenich about the finish they use. I can email it to you if desired? It's a PDF file from Sensenich. They were using Polane; a Sherwin Williams product. They now use spar varnish. Polane is real nice stuff but pretty expensive and can only be purchased in gallons. It is a catalyzed product. I used it on my prop since we happen to have some at my business (left over from some job we did). I think spar varnish is the way to go.

Regarding balancing; I did some Google type research for static balancing methods but could not find a product for sale, or any "how to" websites. If you come up with something please let me know.

I put a new 57mm skateboard wheel inside the hole in the prop, one on each side. The 57mm skateboard wheel fits just right inside the hole; nice and snug. Cheap from the local skateboard shop. I then put a long drill bit (axel) through the hole in the wheel. The drill bit is snug in the axel hole and sets on two straight edges. The straight edges must be parallel and level. I made a simple wood fixture to hold the steel straight edges. I then balanced the prop by adding white paint to the tips. I checked the balance numerous times by taking the skateboard wheels out and rotating them to different clock positions in the prop. The skateboard wheels are amazingly true. I?m pretty darn sure my home brew refinished prop is good to go. It sure looks fabulous anyway.

Sorry for the long response; complicated thread.

Sincerely,

Back