What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A with Catto 3-bladed prop and 160hp

OneTwoSierra

Well Known Member
I know there are lots of people interested in the 3-bladed Catto prop and how it performs. Here's my current setup and the numbers I'm seeing:

Fairings/pants: I do not have the main gear wheel pants on, but I have the main leg fairings and upper intersection fairings, and the nose gear leg fairing and nose wheel pant. What I'm missing are the main wheel pants and lower intersection fairings, and the nose gear upper intersection fairing.

At 2450 rpms, I'm getting exactly 140 knots true (161.3 mph) straight and level.

At 2150 rpms, I'm seeing exactly 120 knots true (138.2 mph) and I lean for something less than 5.5 gph (I need more tests to find out exactly the fuel burn.)

Top speed test results aren't in. I did get this prop to spin at 2730 rpms straight and level and that yielded 163 knots true (187.5 mph) on one flight, but I haven't repeated this test.

I should have the 40 hours flown off this week.

Brian
N9612S

Start and climb performance?

Hello Brian

I'd like a little bit more information about your Plane and setup:

Which typ of motor do you have? With ignition (Lasar, Lightspeed)?

How about start and climp performance with MTOW?

Which propblade tip do you have?

Whats about vibrations, smoothness, noise?

That would help us all to choose maybe also an Catto prop. Thank you!

Dominik
2nd fueltank

swisseagle said:
Hello Brian

I'd like a little bit more information about your Plane and setup:

Which typ of motor do you have? With ignition (Lasar, Lightspeed)?

How about start and climp performance with MTOW?

Which propblade tip do you have?

Whats about vibrations, smoothness, noise?

That would help us all to choose maybe also an Catto prop. Thank you!

Dominik
2nd fueltank

I have an 0-320-E2D upgraded to 160 HP at last overhaul. 2 slick mags. Starts instantly. Tips are the standard Crescent tips. Vibrations and smoothness are outstanding.

I finally got all the fairings on. I just made a weekend trip to Arkansas (299 nm each way) and cruised at 150 knots at 2500 rpms, and burned just under 9 gallons per hour. (2 hours 8 minutes flight from take off to landing and 18 gallons even). I may have been able to lean more, but since this was my first big cross country, I decided to be conservative.

I don't have scientific climb numbers. Saturday I flew my dad and I, both about about 230 lbs, with full fuel and about 20 lbs of extra stuff and we climbed out at 900-1100 feet per minute at about 80-90 knots on takeoff from CWS which is as 315 MSL. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Let us know what your TAS is at WOT at 8000ft. If we all used this as a standard we could then start to compare notes otherwise the data means little.

Norman

Back