What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight RV-10 Vic/Carol Syracuse

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
First flight 7/24/05 in Locust Grove, GA (pic of plane). Vic's userID in the forums is 'vic syracuse' and maybe sometime soon he can chime in with some first flight comments.

B,

Data From Vic's first flight

OK. Here's some data from the first few flights this week end. I fly from a 4500' grass strip, GA04. We received the airwothiness certificate on Thursday, and spent Friday night and Saturday putting back together. Boy there are a lot of panels in this one! Saturday evening I made about 6 full power takeoffs with an immediate reduction in power after liftoff and flew it down the runway to verify balance and controls, etc. Then back to the hangar to check for any leaks. Sunday morning, while the community was still in bed or at Church, I made the first flight. Power is an IO-540 from Performance engines and a 3 blade MT prop. I used standard soft field technique, full aft stick to get the nosewheel off, trim was set 1-2 bars up. With 41 galllons of fuel and 50 lbs in the baggage area, acceleration was very brisk after the nosewheel came up. NO adverse characteristics, and the steering required NO use of brakes, even for taxi. I'm very impressed with the rudder authority.
Climeout was wonderful, with both the Dynon and Chelton agreeing with about 1400-1500 fpm at 90-100 mph, and flaps set down to match the aileron deflection. Retracting the flaps caused no discernible difference in attitude. Oh yes, OAT was 95-97 degrees, field elevation 840'.
Temps were normal for a new engine. I reduced power to 25 squared on crosswind to downwind. Max CHT was 411, max Oil temp was 210. They both came down to 390 and 205 with OAT at 90 and 3500 MSL altitude. Fuel flow is anywhere from 20 gph (full rich) to 14 leaned, but not peaked. Fuel flow during climb was 28.5 gph.
Since Ive been limited to the traffic pattern for 5 hours, there hasn't been much straight and level time. The best I've seen at 3500' and 23.5 MP and 2350 RPM is 170 mph indicated. Right now it seems a little slow, and I'm hoping I don't regret the MT decision. Yes, I calibrated the airspeeds before flight, and did an inflight check with a new Diamond Aircraft. ALtimeters matched exactly, and airspeed was within 2 knots. The engine prop is silky smooth, and everyone says it sounds like a turbine. At idle, the engine is quiet enough to hear the propeller. I'm using the Vetterman 3 into 1 exhaust.
All avionics worked, including a transponder check with approach. It was nice having the TIS function from the 330 wired to the garmin. The Chelton sure makes the 430 an expensive traffic display.
So, the 3 squawks I'm working on: adjusting the idle lean for the Airflow Performance unit. I'm amazed at how sensitive it appears to be. The second is that I have a left wing heavy and it needs right rudder trim in cruise. Clearly something is out of alignment, but we can't tell from the ground. I did change the ailerons a little, and lowered the left flap, and it is much better. It even seemed to pick up a few mph, but right now the speed observations don't mean a lot. I hope that tonight I can spend some time straight and level. The third is that I didn't seal the cabin heat boxes enough, and the center section got warm. I've since sealed them and disconnected the heat for now. Atlanta is hot and humid this time of year!
First impressions are that it is an absolutely wonderful airplane. The visibility is fantastic. It taxis wonderfully, and all of the landings have been absolute greasers, so I'm sure it ain't me! :) Power off stall, full flaps, was at 60 mph, very docile. Approach is at 80-90, and if the power is off it feels like it is coming down at a 45 degree angle. I glanced and saw 1600 fpm descent on the VSI.
Controls are rock solid, and the harmony is great. It certainly feels like a wonderful IFR platform, much better than any of the other RV's. Flap speed is a little slow, and trim speed in cruise is a little fast. Flap speed in other RV's was always so fast that I thought an indicator was just perfume. On this one, I think the flap positioning system that Van's now offers is probably worth it.
So, for all of you still building, keep going. Some of you know I have built a few other airplanes (this is number 6). This one is just fantastic. Sure, it has a different mission profile, but the ride, visibility, roominess, creature comforts, etc, are just really well thought out. I think VAN's has a real winner and has done really well with this one.
While it was a lot of hard work, I'm really glad my wife said "you can't have a Cirrus, go build the 10." She helped, 700 hours worth, and now I can't wait to get her in it.
I'll try to post more as I get further along in the testing.

Vic

way to go

vic syracuse said:
Since Ive been limited to the traffic pattern for 5 hours, there hasn't been much straight and level time.
Vic

Why? Insurance, FAA...?

Kent

This is the first time I have seen a requirement for 5 hours in the pattern, even though I have always practiced that on prior tests. When the DAR shows up on a Thursday night with 1 week's notice, and ALL of the paperwork filled out, including the Repairman Application, you don't ask too many questions. :) The 5 hours is done now. I'm actually at 6.5.
For an update, at 6500 msl today, and 23.7" and 2370 RPM, TAS was 162 kts, with a fuel flow of 14-15 gph. That's looking a little better.

Vic

5hrs in the pattern

Vic I had the same stupid requirement from Don Swords DAR. My busy airport would freak to have anyone in the pattern for 5 hours and I felt that the pattern was BS. Its too low, too slow, and you can not break your engine in at pattern at any airport that has traffic.

I wrote a letter to my FSDO about the requirement and told them is was unsafe and unpractical at my busy regional airport, never heard beans from them.

I disregarded the requirement I hung "around" my airport for 5 hours at 5k'agl and felt I was meeting the spirit on the language rather than the letter of it.

And Major kudos for getting her flying Vic. Very cool. :D
Kahuna

I complied with the spirit of the limitation, staying at 3500-4000 feet, and with the glide area depiction on the Chelton, I just kept the airport within the circle. We have really long and wide patterns. :)

Vic

I filled out the form, but got a server erro when I hit save. I'll try to post the excel spreadsheet I used.

Vic

Back