What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hot Fuel Guage

Build9A

Well Known Member
Electrical problems suck. Sorry.
I have 30 hours on my RV9A. Today, after taking off, I noticed an electrical "smell". I glanced at all my guages and noticed moisture inside the lense of the Vans fuel gauge. It was working, but I had never noticed moisture before. My hanger is not humidity proof, but the plane has never been wet. I reached under the panel and noticed that the guage was extremely hot to the touch. I landed and did my best to look behind the panel. I saw no melted or burnt wires, but the guage was still very hot and moisture continued to be behind the faceplate. What should I do to troubleshoot? What would cause this after 30 hours of no known problem? thanks, Jack

For a suspect circuit that still works, yet hasn't gone to open, start checking the amp draw of that circuit and make sure it's within it's amperage rating.

Since you have a particular circuit in mind, start there.
If that's not the problem, then check all your circuits and see which one might be drawing more amps than it should.

Back