What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Alternate Engine ???

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Van is smarter than I am so I follow his recommendation on engines for RVs.

I know there are many people that do not like to follow recommendations of successful designers.

Here is something I found in a car forum that I read. Talk about a NEW design that has potential. Wow!

The MYT™ (Massive Yet Tiny) Engine
http://www.angellabsllc.com/index.html

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MBYg1NPzMY

I know it is too light weight and too much HP for an RV.

I see in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGlUZg2pC0Q&NR=1 that Raphial is talking about scaling the engine for lower horsepower (200 hp was mentioned). C of G issues would still need to be resolved for application to existing light aircraft designs. A whole new aircraft designed around this engine would be very interesting to see. I'm guessing you would also see some pretty unusual propeller designs to take advantage of the torque output, as well. I'm curious as to what kind of power pulse and vibration characteristics this engine might have at direct drive operating RPM's.

Last edited:
I like the concept, it may be very workable, but I've got more questions than answers. I don't see any real detail on the site at all - it appears the two rotating vane sets are in a TV-like mode with respect to each other, driven by pressure pulses. I'd like to know how they are entrained to maintain that motion, how do they couple power to the crankshaft, how do they seal to the face (outside edge) of the chamber as they rotate.

Also, from the animation it's apparent that the combustion always takes place at the same two places on the outside radius of the case - those will be intense hot spots and cooling will be a very interesting animal to tame. With a round case and localized heating at opposed points, you'll oval out that case in a heartbeat, defeating a perfectly circular rotor(s), so a novel sealing system (or a kick-butt cooling system) is needed. The rotors will not be coolable by water jacket, so some heavy oil cooling from a ported crankshaft will be needed.

I like the concept - I want to see one run in a test cell.

I like the concept, it may be very workable, but I've got more questions than answers. I don't see any real detail on the site at all - it appears the two rotating vane sets are in a TV-like mode with respect to each other, driven by pressure pulses. I'd like to know how they are entrained to maintain that motion, how do they couple power to the crankshaft, how do they seal to the face (outside edge) of the chamber as they rotate.

Also, from the animation it's apparent that the combustion always takes place at the same two places on the outside radius of the case - those will be intense hot spots and cooling will be a very interesting animal to tame. With a round case and localized heating at opposed points, you'll oval out that case in a heartbeat, defeating a perfectly circular rotor(s), so a novel sealing system (or a kick-butt cooling system) is needed. The rotors will not be coolable by water jacket, so some heavy oil cooling from a ported crankshaft will be needed.

I like the concept - I want to see one run in a test cell.

I agree. But isn't this just a re-vitalized steam engine concept from way back?

Ya gotta prove it.

" How can they make all these claims without a functioning prototype?
Yesterday 11:26 AM"

You can claim anything you want but as the direction of this thread is taking your credibility is suspect until proved otherwise. Leonardo DaVinci's flying machine probably looked pretty impressive when first drawn up but we all know how well it couldn't fly. Our mechanisms have become so sophisticated a quantum improvement is difficult. I'm cheering for it anyway. Love to see innovation.

Stay tuned

You can claim anything you want but as the direction of this thread is taking your credibility is suspect until proved otherwise. Leonardo DaVinci's flying machine probably looked pretty impressive when first drawn up but we all know how well it couldn't fly. Our mechanisms have become so sophisticated a quantum improvement is difficult. I'm cheering for it anyway. Love to see innovation.

Speaking of credibility, here is a quote the inventor, Mr. Morgado:

"By replacing an 800 pound V-8 engine with a 25 pound MYT and running it on biodiesel, we can achieve 150 miles per gallon in an otherwise conventional vehicle -- plus, you're going to have better take-off and stopping power by removing that 800 pound engine. That's what we can do. It is achievable." - Raphial Morgado

I'm going to need a little convincing that an 800 cubic inch diesel will get 150 MPG in an SUV. He would have had my attention if he had just said something about the mileage improvement due to lower weigh of the powerplant. It is new "monkey motion" connected to what is a two-stroke diesel. It won't change the laws of thermodynamics. I am, however really interested is seeing how he seals the "slot" in the cylinder wall that connects the pistons to the system.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The concept is great and not being reciprocating should/would provide turbine link smoothness and high torque at low RPMs with piston efficiencies. The mechanics of "locking" the magenta "pistons" in place so that the combustion can react against the blue "pistons" would be the challenge.

American Antigravity Magazine

According to the website the American Antigravity Magazine is not really a magazine, just a website.

Let's think about this rationally for a moment. 150 miles on a gallon of gas. There's only two ways this could happen:

1) The route is all downhill, with a tailwind

or

1) the vehicle is completely frictionless
2) the vehicle has zero aerodynamic drag
3) the terrain never rises (takes extra energy)
4) there is no head wind

I don't think 1 and 2 are going to happen and 3 and 4 are impractical.

Here's my bottom line. A gallon of gasoline only has so much energy, and one gallon just won't move a body of any mass 150 miles!

Here's my bottom line. A gallon of gasoline only has so much energy, and one gallon just won't move a body of any mass 150 miles!

I'm not saying it would be a practical car, but I think a vehicle that would carry a person 150 miles on a gallon of gas could easily be built. A very fit cyclist only produces about 300 watts or about half a horsepower. I think a half horsepower motor could run an awful long time on a gallon.

Been done

I'm not saying it would be a practical car, but I think a vehicle that would carry a person 150 miles on a gallon of gas could easily be built. A very fit cyclist only produces about 300 watts or about half a horsepower. I think a half horsepower motor could run an awful long time on a gallon.

No problem, it was done 27 years ago.
http://www.canosoarus.com/03CalifCommuter/CalCom01.htm

But the designer of the engine in question stated:

"By replacing an 800 pound V-8 engine with a 25 pound MYT and running it on biodiesel, we can achieve 150 miles per gallon in an otherwise conventional vehicle -- plus, you're going to have better take-off and stopping power by removing that 800 pound engine. That's what we can do. It is achievable." - Raphial Morgado

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Speaking of credibility, here is a quote the inventor, Mr. Morgado:

I'm going to need a little convincing that an 800 cubic inch diesel will get 150 MPG in an SUV. He would have had my attention if he had just said something about the mileage improvement due to lower weigh of the powerplant. It is new "monkey motion" connected to what is a two-stroke diesel. It won't change the laws of thermodynamics. I am, however really interested is seeing how he seals the "slot" in the cylinder wall that connects the pistons to the system.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Actually, if you watch the animation you will see that they accomplish a full 4-stroke action between the time the piston passes the intake port to the time it crosses the exhaust port.

I agree that differential heating will make keeping the piston centered in the track a real bear - but on the other hand there is no particular force that would prevent allowing the "piston" to slide in and out a bit on the "arm" to allow for a non-circular rotation path.

Sadly, no matter the outcome it is not likely the engine of the future unless they invent more oil...

Back