What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lake Okeechobee

GrayHawk

Well Known Member
I'm planning a Florida trip in the 2nd half of Feb 08, to the SW Lake Okeechobee area (Clewiston) to visit my sister & family Right now, the plan is to fly into AirGlades (2IS). I've never flown into Florida before; so any guidance, suggestions, tips will be welcome.

I also hope to do a little local flying/sightseeing so any suggestions there are also welcome.

Thanks,

The safest thing to do is get flight following. The controllers have always been very helpful. Generally instead of east/west for odd/even thousands they tend to use north/south for odd/even thousands. I forget which is which. I generally try to fly early or late in Florida because it can get hot even in February. If you have time you should shoot down to Key West for lunch one day. It is probably less than an hour from where you are staying. Bring shorts! It is hot down there! Lots of humidity!
I'm sure others who live there have some good advice. I fly down there about three to four times a year.

South Central FL has many MOA's and restricted areas, also that area is very active (Paracute jumping). A good idea to monitor the UNICOM freq's of the fields you are overflying. A current sectional is a must. Flight following is good when available. Tampa, Orlando, and Miami ATC can be busy and may or may not provide flight following, however, the controllers are usually very helpfull.
A side note, there is a great little restaurant on the field at Okeechobee County KOBE.
Enjoy,

Just flew there from Atlanta...

There's the Tampa and Orlando airspaces coming south down Florida that funnels you to the middle of the state.

Just South of there is a large Restricted airspace before you turn east to KOBE.

It seems the clouds this time of year are Broken in the 3 to 4k height.

I really could feel the temp difference from about Ocala South.

KOBE is a nice little airport. Fun little restaurant. No car rental on site.

NOTE: they do not supply tie downs- bring your own. On the other hand the overnight parking, while it is limited (10 or less) was free when I was there over the Christmas Holiday.

Airglades and Parachutes

That part of Florida is very wide open, there are numerous MOA and possible restricted area some what north of the lake, obvious on the sectional and check with briefer for active military operations. East of Airglades are North County (F45) and Pahokee (PHK) with a VOR. Fair amount of flight training at F45, not much at PHK. Monitor Palm Beach (PBI) for inbound commercial if you get close. If you come to F45 (my home airport) drop me a note and I'll come out and say hello.

Thanks to everyone for your Lake Okeechobee replies. I contacted Air Glades (2IS) and they do have parking & tie downs. Okeechobee (KOBE) sounds like the place for lunch with "The Landing Strip" restaurant. I may even try Key West. I've driven to most of these places but this time, flying will be different.

Back