What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A 0-360 and Hartzell CG issues

C-GRVT

Well Known Member
I am now thinking about placement/type of battery, location of ELT, location of strobe power pack, etc - in other words, those things that I can vary depending on whether I want to move the CG forward or back.
For example, I'm thinking I might go with the RV-7 firewall mounted battery rather than the RV-6 centre floor box.
But, for an 0-360, Hartzell constant speed aircraft, do I have an aft or forward CG issue, or is it just right with things mounted in the standard location - battery on the centre floor, strobe power pack under the baggage floor, etc. - do I want to move weight back or forward? I have heard that an 0-320, wood prop RV-6 can have a tendency to be tail heavy, is it the reverse for an 0-360 Hartzell install?
Any thoughts/experience?
Bill
RV-6A
Ottawa, Canada

Hi Bill,

I have a 6A, O360 C/S, AFP FI. I have the battery in the standard place behind the firewall, and it is a Odyssee PC680, so it is lighter than the classic. I chose to put my ELT about a foot behind the baggage bulkhead. I also keep about a 10 pound tool/misc. kit strapped down in the baggage area, about half way fore/aft. My autopilot servo is heavier than the new trutrak ones, and is about With full fuel and solo, I will run out of "up" trim on final approach, requiring a small amount of aft stick force. The only other thing I have forward that is non standard is maybe 6 pounds of inverted oil stuff.

So, my recommendation would be to put a little weight rearward. Send me an email (click on my name above) and I'll send you a little more detail on my W&B.

My RV6 with a Lyc O-360 A1A and a Hartzell prop and an Odysee battery at the standard location is nicely balanced and can haul 100 lbs in the back without going aft CG. Since the normal battery location is just aft of the fire wall I would consider moving it to the forward side of the fire wall. That would not change the W&B much but make battery access much more convenient. Crawling under the panel to install or remove it is a pain.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

Empty Weight CG

I don't think you can get the empty weight CG too far forward. Conversely, the aft OPERATING WEIGHT CG/limit is frequently a limiting factor for gross weight, and loading.

Back