What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Did you do your IFR practical test in an RV?

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
About a year ago, I did my IFR training in my RV-6 and got signed off for the practical test. We had an examiner lined up and a date set....twice. But, my aged panel failed a few days before the test both times. (Thus, the Mikey panel project!) That issue plus a cross-country move caused me to put the practical aside. Now the panel is ready, my written is still good, and I need to start planning my exam. (However, the examiner is no longer available.)

I'm interested in hearing the experiences of folks who did their practical exam in their RV. Maybe even information on what examiners will consider an RV in Texas/New Mexico/California or even other areas. At one point I tried going to a big-time flight school and using a spam can for this last step, but the experience was awful....bad instructor, poorly maintained plane, and outrageous price. So, I'm back to hoping I can find an examiner and have a good experience. Suggestions?

I did not. I went to GATTS in Manhattan, KS - great school! They have a very intense structured program that allowed me to get my rating in 8 days (I already had passed my written).

We discussed the possibility of using my RV7A (dual GRT Horizon I and GNS430with TruTrak ADI, A.S.I., ALT as back-up) and decided it would be better to use their PA-28 for both training and check ride because the examiner is used to his routine with a standard steam panel. Their cost for using the PA-28 for the entire program was a reasonable $1500 flat fee including fuel wich made it attractive enough.

After having trained with steam I find flying approaches with my glass panel much easier. In addition I found tracking the ILS much easier in the RV because of it's superior resonse to small corrections.

In the end it boils down to this: Make sure you can get a fair amount of practice with the plane you take the check ride with and if you plan to do it in your RV make sure you can secure an examiner in advance who will agree to let you use an experimental with a glass panel.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

I did my practical in my RV and logged some time on Sims. All the hood work was done in my -6A. At first I was pretty sure that I just wasn't going to be able to do it. It slowly got a little better as I progressed. My instructor was giving me a pretty hard time about holding alt. I was just terrible at first. He requested the hood and told me to watch. After a few minutes he gave it back to me and didn't give me quite as hard a time. To his credit, it was his first time to handle an RV, and it was a bit more of a handful than I think he thought at first.

As time went on, things settled down and I got proficient enough to pass the checkride.

After I got my instrument rating I did install a TruTrak a/p because the 6's really are a handfull, single pilot IFR, without it. Really adds a safety factor to me.

Go for it Louise. I was an old dog, (Nearly 60) when I started the instrument training. It was without a doubt, one of the most frustrating and satisfying things I have ever done. I am more proud of the instrument rating than either college degree, or any other training I have had.

We use it a lot, and it really does make the trips a pleasure, and tends to keep me focused.

Hang in,

I did all my training and practical in my 6A.
It was the first time the DER had even been in an experimental. He thought it was pretty cool. Come to think of it, so did I. ;)

Same here!

Examiner stated.."Oh I heard these are not very good instrument platforms"...Then looking at the Dynons he said..."Wow thats a cool panel"

Overall though he was very impressed with the RV.

Frank

Me too!

I did all my instrument training and the checkride in my RV-6A
seven years ago. I talked with several examiners, and not all
were willing to give the checkride in an experimental. I offered
a VFR familiarization flight to the examiner I chose and after
that ride he said he felt completely comfortable giving the exam
in my plane. It has a standard 6-pack with vacuum gyros and
an IFR GPS. Part of the checkride was in IMC but it worked out
fine.

I recommend offering a pre-ride if your examiner is not familiar
with RV's. If your panel is relatively "standard" and everything
works reliably, they will probably be happy to do it!

- Dan Benua
RV-6A (sold)
RV-10 (imminent!)

I did mine in my RV9A with Bill Gross at SLN. I used PIC for the training. Had a good experience with both. I would not hesistate to give instrument instruction in an RV. We have an RV10 on our field and the owner did all his training and checkride in it.

I have been s l o w l y working on an instrument rating in my 6A. I plan to accelerate the training and finish it up this year. It just so happens that an examiner here owns an RV4, so I don't expect any issues from that point of view.

Louise, I did all nearly all my instrument training in my RV-6A but bogged down at the end because my instructer wanted me to take check ride in a cessna 172. I got frustrated and talked to "finish-up courses" and chose GATTS and was very happy with them. I did take the check ride in their Piper 180. Good luck to you!!

Back