What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Rigging

AndrewTR30

Has anyone had problems with the bellcrank to aileron pushrod binding against the inboard aileron bracket?

In the aileron full up position, my pushrod rubs against the shop heads of the rivets in the aileron brackets.

I am wondering if the call outs for the aileron attatch hardware might need to be played with a little bit in order to move the aileron in a smidge?

Anyone else had this problem?

Andrew Rayhill
RV-10 40078
Phoenix

I had a similar problem. On mine, the pushrod binds against the hole in the rear spar.

Van's said that I could enlarge the hole "just enough to prevent rubbing." I did enlarge the hole some, but wish I hadn't because it looks like I would have to make a really big hole to prevent rubbing completely. I decided not to mess with it further until I've got the wings mounted and the entire control system hooked up so I can see how much travel there actually is.

I did make several of the rivets in the inboard aileron bracket double flush because the bracket that the pushrod connects to was hitting the shop heads on the inboard bracket.

PJ

Last edited:
Aileron rigging

I had the same experience. The shop heads would hit and limit the alieron travel. I used a die grinder and opened up the hole to give just enough clearence. Many have had to do this. Just take off just enough !

Jeff Vaughan

Thanks for the replies.
I can't visualize what you mean by double flush riveting the bracket. Did you countersink it?
As for the die grinding, did you grind down the rivets as well?

Andrew

aileron rigging

I had the interference on the aft spar with the rivet heads.
Besides opening up the hole a bit, I adjusted the rod-end bearings to shift the pushrod position and minimize the interference.

Vern Little R-9A

It worked for me....
Take advantage of the optional construction method and weld the aileron end of the pushrod to the rod end. This method eliminates the "rivet heads rubbing on the rear spar hole" problem.
Steve

Left hand aileron push pull tube rubbing

Does anyone have a picture of what they did here. my push pull tube is contacting the aileron hinge. I do not want to grind on that. Any help would be great! Thanks!

I can't visualize what you mean by double flush riveting the bracket. Did you countersink it? ...
It's the same as done on the trailing edge of the rudder (some rudders, anyway). The shop head is formed inside the dimple and/or countersink with a flush rivet set.

- John

One thing to note, assuming that you'll be installing a roll servo for an autopilot, the stops on the servo itself (at least for a TruTrak servo) will limit aileron travel before the ailerons reach their physical stops. So there's a chance your binding problem could be a non-issue. YMMV...

I had it on the right side

When I rigged mine I found my right side aileron push rod rubbed the aileron bracket. With the flap on the aileron also rubbed the flap. After comparing to the left side I noticed that the right side aileron is pushed inward against the flap. Further investigation found the outboard aileron bracket slightly bent inward. I gently bent it back and it moves without any rubbing. Your problem may not be the same but it worth checking.

Mine rubs on the left wing. Note in my case it's the shop head of the bracket rubbing on the tube--it has nothing to do with the rivets holding the rod end on. Where the pushrod attaches to the aileron, I plan to replace the washer on the inboard side with two light washers, one on each side. It barely rubs now, so hoping that does the trick.

My aileron pushrod rubbed before I mounted the wings. Now there is no interference after everything is hooked up and the aileron "up" position is limited by the stops. I would wait.

One thing to note, assuming that you'll be installing a roll servo for an autopilot, the stops on the servo itself (at least for a TruTrak servo) will limit aileron travel before the ailerons reach their physical stops.

Somehow that doesn't sound right/

"One thing to note, assuming that you'll be installing a roll servo for an autopilot, the stops on the servo itself (at least for a TruTrak servo) will limit aileron travel before the ailerons reach their physical stops. "

The servo stops are not installed correctly if that is the case. The aileron stops should be the limit not the servo stop. The servo stop can be adjusted to make this work.

This is one of those subjects that pops up every year or so. When the ailerons are installed, but not hooked up to the control system, they will rub. However, once the system is all hooked up, as mentioned by "Strasnuts", they will not rub since the "up" travel of the aileron is limited by the stops. I am sure a search of the archives would probably find quite a bit of discussion about this in the past.

They're less likely to rub with everything attached, but mine *does* still rub on one side. That said, it's certainly not worth worrying about until you have everything rigged up and ready to go.

-Rob

About how many degrees of travel does the aileron have once its all mounted to the fuse. I have the binding on the W-413 aileron hinge, but am going to wait till the wings are mounted. At this point it looks like I can get about 20 degrees of the aileron pointing downward, and about 40 degrees of it pointing up.

I also am encountering this issue. I was just going to post, but then searched and found this thread. I have more up travel than down travel. Does anyone have a guestimate about the degrees up and the degrees down of travel to expect with the ailerons?

I also am encountering this issue. I was just going to post, but then searched and found this thread. I have more up travel than down travel. Does anyone have a guestimate about the degrees up and the degrees down of travel to expect with the ailerons?

Pretty sure Van put that in for you, as part of your bellcrank geometry, to limit adverse yaw.:)

(This observation from a guy that built a 6A twenty years ago and has not even seen a set of 10 plans - yet!)

-Stormy

The DOWN aileron is less than UP to mitigate adverse yaw.

Once you rig the ailerons with everything connected, the UP travel on the right aileron is limited by the DOWN stop on the left (or the other way round - can't remember) and vice versa.

The rigging is all covered in the build manual section and Part 5.

Back