What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Are You Listening?

Bill Palmer

Well Known Member
Just an opinon:

I sincerely hope Garmin replaces, or supercedes, its aging aviation portable 296/396/496 line with new aviation units based on its new marine units:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8108&locale=en_US

Nice big (5-inch diagonal), relatively high-resolution (480X640 VGA), vertically-oriented display.

5.9 inches wide (aviation rack-mountable). Accepts SD cards.

XM Weather and Radio compatible. Its even waterproof!

Makes the older Garmin aviation line look very, very outdated!

Happy New Year!

Bill Palmer :rolleyes:

I think they do listen.

I also think that they experiment in the marine market and then introduce aviation equipment when it comes to VFR equipment.

I am sure the IFR stuff is top down, clean sheet engineering.

My two...

:) CJ

I'd prefer one of these with aviation software as the next x96:
cf-lg.jpg
or
cf-lg.jpg

Not water proof, screen only 3.8" X 2.25" but is touch screen and much smaller (4.8 X 3) which also makes it easily usable outside the cockpit.

When they get rid of their funky formfactors I'll be first in line to get one. Make it nice, SQUARE, and boring so I don't have to cut all of these odd shaped holes in my panel.

I like the hand size GPS. The 5XX series looks too big, IMHO. I like being able to manipulate the keys & hold it with one hand.

Just remember, we are suppose to be looking outside the aircraft every once in a while.

Last edited:
I have the one on the right

I'd prefer one of these with aviation software as the next x96:
cf-lg.jpg
or
cf-lg.jpg

Not water proof, screen only 3.8" X 2.25" but is touch screen and much smaller (4.8 X 3) which also makes it easily usable outside the cockpit.

I would prefer something without the touch screen. I have the one on the right, and I have enough issues with my big fingers trying to enter stuff with the touch screen in the car. Okay, I know you shouldn't mess with the GPS while driving, but....

I also tried it while flying, just for the heck of it. In turbulence, forget trying to use the touch screen, it's pretty much useless. Also tried the Navigon 7100.. not any better.

The current size is just about right for me...

I would like them to thin down the form factor as much as possible, but keep the buttons and the screen size that it has. I think a much better screen gets to be instrusive in an RV.

H.

Gary Bricker

While we are wishing. I wish they would get something panel mount that was more reasonable priced with a com.

I would prefer something without the touch screen. I have the one on the right, and I have enough issues with my big fingers trying to enter stuff with the touch screen in the car. Okay, I know you shouldn't mess with the GPS while driving, but....

I also tried it while flying, just for the heck of it. In turbulence, forget trying to use the touch screen, it's pretty much useless. Also tried the Navigon 7100.. not any better.
Try this; Instead of letting your hand freely float over the unit when trying to enter something, rest your middle finger on the side or base while you use your index finger to touch. Works really well even in turbulance.

Well, as long as we're wishing...

I think it's about time to separate the data entry from the display. Give me a display screen that fills the hole I've got to cut out of the panel, and then run a cable to a data entry module with A-Z and 0-9, mode display, "Enter", "Next", "Previous" etc. I want the display out front where I can see it, but reaching out there to enter data doesn't make ergonomic sense. The data entry could be on a left side sub-panel (for righties), or hanging from the left edge of the glare shield, or centered below the middle of the panel for side by side seating.
Instrument panel landscape that's prominent visually is priceless and should be dedicated to PFD's and critical warnings. Cockpit space that's easily reachable by the pilot's most dextrous hand while flying is likely completely different - Garmin and all manufacturers should be recognizing that.
Clay Cook
VAF #1256

Be careful what you wish for. Handheld manufacturers typically stop supporting their products about 5 years after they stop selling 'em.

If I spent $2500 on a 496, I'd hate for it to be obsolete in 5 years because database updates were not available.

Here is one for you----------aux video output from the unit, that will drive a common panel like you use for the kids DVD player. Or feed into a AFS 3500, GRT, Dynon, ETC.

That way, I get to pick the size panel I want, or just use the built in one.

Also, for tandems, lets the GIB see a slave display from the pilots unit.

Sure would be nice if ALL of these fancy electronic doodads talked to each other, in the same language.

A gripe of a different color

I wish the XM receiver wasn't tied to the antenna!

My antenna is pretty much permanently mounted in the plane so the 496 will only work in that airplane. I would be really upset if I had two planes and was switching the unit between them.

Back