What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DYNON 180/LSA

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I'll bite the bullet and ask what may be a realy dumb question as I am about as far from an 'expert' as there is - why not have only an Dynon 180 and a few steam guages 'only' in the RV-12 LSA panel? Might a Dynon 180 backed up by ASI, VSI, compass, 296/396, maybe an oil guage: and a handheld radio be enough?

I am seeking knowledge and understanding here - only a student pilot at this time who definately will build a 12 as my first Vans aircraft. Your thoughts please. :D

I'd think that a D180 + G396, along with your choice of comm and xpdr, would work fine. No requirement for a backup ASI, so install one if you want one. Handheld COMM would work, but if you fly Class B/C/D often, you might want a panel mount for better performance and ergonomics.

The important items on the Rotax are tach, oil temp, oil press, volts and single CHT (remember, it's partially water cooled). You can add the 2nd CHT and 4 EGTs if you want, but they're really only useful when adjusting the mixture on the carbs, which is infrequent. The Dynon display for the Rotax is pretty simple.

TODR

From memory, the FAA requires for VFR flight the following instrumentation:

Compass
Altimeter
Airspeed
Tach
Oil Pres

The D180 has all of that, so why the back-up? It just adds weight and expense. If you loose the D180, a GPS will give you speed, altitude and heading. Your ears will tell you everything you need to know about the engine.

Really, the D180 is overkill for use in an LSA. There are other less expensive electronic flight instrument systems that will give you everything you need.

Keep it simple, keep it light.

I agree -- no backup steam gauges needed for day VFR. The 396 gives you a lot of good indirect backup info. If you use a handheld as primary, definitely hook it up to an external antenna.

I'd think that a D180 + G396, along with your choice of comm and xpdr, would work fine. No requirement for a backup ASI, so install one if you want one. Handheld COMM would work, but if you fly Class B/C/D often, you might want a panel mount for better performance and ergonomics.

The important items on the Rotax are tach, oil temp, oil press, volts and single CHT (remember, it's partially water cooled). You can add the 2nd CHT and 4 EGTs if you want, but they're really only useful when adjusting the mixture on the carbs, which is infrequent. The Dynon display for the Rotax is pretty simple.

TODR

E.D.,

Is this question because Van's has both a Dynon and a AFS in the prototype? Van's stated they put both in to run them side by side. We are still waiting to see what is included in the final kit, if anything...

--Bill

THANKS - EVERYONE

Appreciate everyone's response. Yes, I do hope that Vans will allow us to equip the panel as we choose. The RV-12 will be my first and possibly only built/owned aircraft and I really want to equip it nicely (not excessively). Beginner's mistake?

Right now, I am thinking about options and, at least at this time, think that a D-180/G-396 best fill the bill. Isn't it awesome the choices of instrumentation and avionics that we now have.:cool: My best to all - I can't wait to begin the journey.:)

From memory, the FAA requires for VFR flight the following instrumentation:

Compass
Altimeter
Airspeed
Tach
Oil Pres

The D180 has all of that, so why the back-up? It just adds weight and expense. If you loose the D180, a GPS will give you speed, altitude and heading. Your ears will tell you everything you need to know about the engine.

Really, the D180 is overkill for use in an LSA. There are other less expensive electronic flight instrument systems that will give you everything you need.

Keep it simple, keep it light.

According to FAR 91.205 and the experimental operating limitations, there are no requirements for instrumentation in an experimental aircraft for day VFR. Prudence most likely will result in all builders including some sort of instrumentation in a day VFR panel, but the regs don't dictate it.

Having said that, the D180 would make a fine day VFR panel with no additional instruments needed.

Yep, simple and light is good! :)

This thread brings up a question. On a day, VFR, RV12,
why go glass at all? Would I save any weight or money?
I have heard that a glass EIS is coming close in cost to its
steam equivalent. I priced out the needed Vans steam gauges,
the only thing that even comes close is the old GRT EIS,
(which I feel is very hard to see).

A EFIS is a lot more dollars for the few flight instruments needed,
(airspeed, altimeter, compass and maybe a turn & bank).

My question: Has anyone done a recent cost comparison
of a glass panel verses steam gauges on a RV7-9,
(VFR & day only), that would apply to the 12?

Thanks for any input,
Tom

dynons

i didnt see where they were any more than steam...but then i added some backups :confused: oh well its just money :rolleyes: the glass just has too much to pass up.

The cost of adding backups is a good point.
At least the Dynon can be obtained with
an internal power backup. I feel any of the
Garmin X96 GPS portables would help 'get ur down'
if all the glass broke. A 'friend' who took off with his
pitot cover still on found out the Garmin panel page
works fine as a backup ASI, (compensating for wind).
Tom

This thread brings up a question. On a day, VFR, RV12, why go glass at all? Would I save any weight or money?
Tom,
The D180 will be a good bit lighter than steam gauges. More so if you feel the need for an artificial horizon.

As for cost, the D180 will work out cheaper too. Just remember, you don't need to add all the bells and whistles to the D180 to make it a nice instrument panel.

There is a local Sonex that only has the D180, a GPS, radio, transponder, and intercom. It is very functional and light.

Thanks Bill,
I'll check out the D180. Obviously, I'm new
to planning a glass panel. At some point, I'll
bother Steinair, but should wait until I see what
info Van's puts out with the 12 kit.
Tom

D180

I am currently conducting the phase 1 test flights for a Xenos ( a Sonex motorglider ) that is equipped with a D180, radio, xponder, and GPS. A LRI is also installed and functions as a very good back up in case of an electrical failure. I haven't worked out the cost differences between this panel and steam guages, but it was close enough that the owner chose to go with this setup. It makes a very good, simple, light weight panel for a day VFR light sport aircraft.

Jim Lewman
1993 RV4 for sale
Replica Super Cub under construction
Probable RV12 builder

Back