What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting NACA plastic vents

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
I'm about to install the plastic NACA vents on my 9A and was wondering if/whether folks have painted/primed this before installation. Obviously I'm not worried about corrosion, but am thinking ahead to the final paint job and whether this plastic needs scuffing and priming before installation so it will take paint later. Or do you just leave it as is? Thanks for your input.

greg

Doing it all, when you paint the rest of the plane, is no problem at all.

Just scuff the area that attaches to the fuse.

L.Adamson

:edited to clarify

Last edited:
Greg,

I did not paint mine prior to ProSealing them in place as I would rather ProSeal the plastic to aluminum rathern than paint to aluminum.

By the end of the first week of 2008 I will have available fiber glass lay ups of both the NACA vents and the panel mount vent portion. I have an idea of how to improve the eye ball vent part also but haven't gotten to work on that yet. If anyone would like fiber glass NACA vents contact me. I'll be selling them as a four piece replacement set for the white plastic parts. Pictures after mine are finished.

Is it necessary to prime these vents with anything special, and does anyone actually know what type of plastic these NACA ducts are made from? I'm planning on priming the remainder of the aircraft with a zinc phosphate etch primer, but want to make sure it will stick to these ducts.
Cheers,
Tom.
RV-7

Back