What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Some other thoughts..

hughfi

Well Known Member
Here is a list of modifications I made to my RV to make it a real IFR machine in case anyone is interested.

1.) Safeair1 static system. Works well when you don't get water in it..:)
2.) New Piston driven vacum pump with 2000hr TBO. This thing is great and adds to the safety for the older steam gauges in my 6.
3.) Heated Pitot Tube
4.) PlanePower 60Amp alternator gives me the reliability I need for IFR.
5.) GNS430W
6.) A Trutrak DigiFlight VSGV with a DEDICATED Static line (with cross feed to the second static system). This makes it easy for the digiflight to be very precise which is useful. BTW. Never heard anyone at Trutrak say to vent my autopilot in the cabin.
7.) Classic Aero seats and interior. You have to be very comfortable to fly IFR well in my experience. A bose headset goes a long way in this regard also.
8.) Sound proofing and insulation both around the interior of the RV6 plus on the inside bottom edge of the sliding canopy. This removes a lot of the wind noise and engine noise, as well as keeping you warm while in the clouds.
9) Constant engine maintenance! I won't fly IFR if I am not 100% on every little detail of my engine. No leaks acceptable. New hardware and hoses every year.

Back