What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Prop

ww2planes

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any information on the performance numbers of a 7A using a Catto Prop? I will most likely be using a 360 of some sort. This is a long way down the road for me but it is never too soon to start planning.

Having decided to use the Catto 3-blade with a Mattituck 180hp engine, I called Craig and had a discussion with him about performance. I told him that all I was looking for was crossing the 200mph mark for cruise.
His basic comment was that it's no problem reaching the same cruise speeds as the same engine with a CS prop.
I wasn't too concerned with climb rates because the 180hp engine is so overpowered for the RV7 to begin with that no matter how he pitches it, it will still outclimb any spamcan X2.

I've been contacted by a couple of people running Catto's and they are really happy with the performance, but calling Craig Catto directly will probably better answer your questions.

I have a Catto on the front of my -8. I have an IO-360-A3B6D, and am very happy with the combination. On a cold day at gross weight, I see around 1300 fpm, solo is about 2000 fpm (but I am a VERY heavy lad).

Our airfield is about 400' AGL, and on a 90F degree day, I see about 900 fpm at gross and 1400 fpm solo. Now, these are what I have noticed, rather than measured.

As far as speed is concerned, I once got 190kts in level flight at 3000'. Normal cruise at 2300 RPM at 5000' is about 160 kts. I'm cheap, so most of my local flying is done at 2200-2300 RPM, keeping the burn rate below 8 gal/hr.

My friend has an -8 with an O-360-A1A and a Sensenich FP prop. At solo weights, my airplane is 100 lbs heavier than his (yes, that is all ME, not the airplane). He has me in the climb by a little bit (we do formation take offs and he is about 2 kts faster once wheels are up and we are established in the climb). However, as soon as we level, I'm all over him in speed. He typically needs 125-150 RPM more to maintain the same speed as me.

Not scientific, I know, but there you go. I'm happy with my prop. It looks really cool, is very smooth, light, and very inexpensive. I satisfied with the performance, or at least until I win a lottery, then we'll see ;-).

Cheers

I've been running a Catto 3-blade on my -6 for at least a couple of years now and could never go back. I fly out of a 1500' strip in Texas. The Catto prop shortened my takeoff roll by 17% and increased my climb similarly without hurting my cruise. It is extremely smooth and quiet. This data is in comparison to a Sensenich wood prop. As I have said before; It isn't a constant speed, but it cost $1700 and weighs 17 lbs.
Mel...DAR

I went from a slightly underpitched wood prop to a 3 blade Catto this spring. I have an Aerosport O-360 RV-6. I discussed it with Craig at some length, and decided to have mine about 2 inches under-pitched from a cruise prop, as I did not want to give anything up in T/O and climb performace. I get 175 KTAS at 8K'/ WOT which is a couple kts above Van's book speed. I normally run less than that, and I flight plan for 165 kts @ 9GPH give or take a few either way. I did not loose anything in T/O and climb. It is very smooth and quiet, and makes the engine feel and sound more like a six-cylinder. I highly recommend the Catto prop.

Jeff Point
RV-6
Milwaukee WI

Thank You

Thanks everyone for the info. I just cannot justify the cost of a C/S Prop if I can get anything similar out of the Catto. It just seems crazy to invest another $8000 for the entire C/S setup if you can get 165 kt for so much less. I regularly fly with a friend that has a 6A. IO-360 with 10:1 and electronic ignition. It has been balanced and flowed. At 23 square we see about 165kt and it has the C/S. I am a long way from a prop and engine so by the time I am ready the Catto will probably be that much better. Thanks again.

I'm in the same camp - why go C/S if you can get most of the bang for a lot less bucks >>> Very interested in Catto but I don't find their website to be too informational for RV's.

What kind of price are we talking for a 2 or 3 blade setup? What prop dia/pitch is most common? Can you use the spinner for the Sensenich FP from Van's?

I plan on an IO-360. Thanks for your advice.

PS - is it pronouced "kay-toh" or "cat-toh?"

I know nothing about propellers.

Is there an advantage using 3 vs 2 blades? I assume the 3 bladed prop is shorter than the 2, that it has a less agressive rate, spins slower (less noise)?

Scott Will said:
I'm in the same camp - why go C/S if you can get most of the bang for a lot less bucks >>> Very interested in Catto but I don't find their website to be too informational for RV's.

What kind of price are we talking for a 2 or 3 blade setup? What prop dia/pitch is most common? Can you use the spinner for the Sensenich FP from Van's?

I plan on an IO-360. Thanks for your advice.

PS - is it pronouced "kay-toh" or "cat-toh?"
I've always heard "kay-toh".

The prop for my IO-360-A3B6D (Just about identical to the IO-360-A1B6 that Vans sells) cost $1650. It is a 66" x 78" (66 diameter, 78 pitch). When you decide to order a prop for your aircraft, Craig will get the performance specs from you and recommend a specific configuration.

I used the standard spinner from Vans. Just order their standard FP kit. You'll need the aluminum extension and crush plates.

You'll like it.

Brian,
Thanks for the link. I still dont get it... It was claimed that the 2 blade is more efficient, but reported that the 3 blade gets equivlent thrust at lower rpm, generates less noise, operates smoother (less vibration?). Doesn't that all imply that the 3-blade is more efficient?

Back