What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WHERE HAVE ALL THE UNFINISHED KITS GONE ?

If there is only 242 RV-3's finished and flying and over 1200 sets of plans were sold were are they? Does anyone know how many kits were sold for the RV-3? Did the wing mods scare people away from this wonderful airplane? Just wondering why it so hard to find a unfinished Kit with out having to travel 3000 miles:confused:

Last edited:
Just because there was a set of plans sold doesn't mean there was a kit sold. People buy plans and later change their minds. Also, a person could buy the emp. kit and never go any further.

I'm sure there are a number of unfinished -3 kits out there but there may not be as many as you think. If your that interested, just buy a new kit... or build from scratch, the plans were drawn to allow that.

Karl

unfinished RV3 kit

If you go to barnstormers.com and search "aerobatic" you will come across what is advertised as a complete, unstarted RV3 kit

Tail and Wings

Fellow RV-3 admirers:

There is an ad on the Barnstormers website for an RV-3 tail and wings. Located in Miami and for sale “cheap”:

http://barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=search&PHPSESSID=1e136cb1a1eec849c8fc71b73c70aba8
I contacted the seller and got the following information:

The empennage has been built and finished with chromate primer
Needs f/g tips attached

Left wing built needs top skin riveted
Left aileron built
Left flap started
Right wing spars only built
Chromate primer
Vans wing mod kit also included- not installed
Fuel tanks in wings

Bought “as is” in 1996, haven’t touched.
Bought flying RV6 instead.
No plans or serial #.
Make an offer

That’s all I know. Might make a good start for someone who doesn’t necessarily need a B model.

Update: The link doesn't seem to go directly to the ad. Do a search on "RV3" (not RV-3) and it comes up.

Last edited:
Barnstormer RV3 Kits items for sale

I spoke and exchanged emails with the gentleman in Florida a few months ago. Back then he wanted $4500.00 for the items, I believe he had them about 11 years, stored in a hanger. For what it's worth.

Jim Tillman

Check Ebay

I saw a complete kit on Ebay yesterday. I think the starting bid was $6,000and includes the finish kit. No bidders as of yesterday.

Rv3 for sale

Hi, my name is Jeff Johnson. I have the RV3 project for sale listed on Barnstormers.
If interested, e-mail and I'll send information. I will try to get current pictures together this weekend and may be able to e-mail them as of monday. The current ad states that I'm going to take the best serious offer by 2/29/08
Thanks for the interest,
Jeff Johnson

Hi Jeff, welcome aboard.

I see your profile lists you as a sport pilot.

Are you selling the 3 because there is a 12 in your future???

RV12

I like the RV12
wish it was riveted with std rivets
also would like a std a/c engine
just don't know anything about these other engines
would like simple vfr steam gauges also
Jeff

Jeff, the 12 can be riveted with standard (driven) rivets, I suspect. It was designed to use pulled rivets for simplicity, and as such, there will probably be times/places where bucking rivets will require a bit of thought, or maybe slight re-engineering.

There are a lot of planes flying using pulled rivets, both hardware variety, and aircraft standard-----"Cherry"----type.

The Rotax engine is available as a certified engine------if that is what you are referring to by "std" engine. Hundreds if not thousands flying worldwide.

Gauges are at your own choice---- as I understand it, Vans is planning on using a glass panel in the "Package", but you could certainly exchange for steam if that is what you wanted.

Pretty much everyone who has flown the 12, and has reported it here, has had good things to say for the design.

Go for it.

Back