What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stab incidence

twvandusen

I'm New Here
Guys (and/or Gals),
I'm currently mounting the rear stab to the fuselage and, per plans, have leveled the fuse in both pitch and roll. I've drill the 4 forward spar holes successfully but when I check the stab incidence using the 3/16th inch spacer under the rear spar I find that the bubble touches the front hash-mark on the level. It requires almost another 1/16th inch spacer to make it perfectly level. I've rechecked the fuselage and it still is level. Should I:
a) Drill the holes in the rear spar and forks using the 3/16th inch spacer or,
b) Drill the holes using the additional 1/16 inch spacer in order to get it to be perfectly level again.
Thanks for your comments,
Thom

Last edited:
spacer

Mine requried a 1/32 spacer on the passenger side I used the spacer just don't drill the hole so close to the angle underneath that the nut won't go on easy.. I set mine center bubble.. and measuring to the firewall I got within 1/32 I think is best I could do on the ends to the firewall..

Read Stab incidence

Thom:

I have an RV-8 QB and ran into a similar issue.

After leveling the fuse on both the roll and pitch axis, I installed the HS stab. I then had to place a 1/4 inch spacer, instead of the 3/16th spacer, under the rear spar to meet the specs. (i.e. 1/16 spacer on top of the rear spar and under the level).

I then drilled the holes in the rear spar and forks. If I didn't do this my HS spar would had a neutral incidence instead the positive incidence required.

-Mike Draper
RV-8 Fuse
N468RV

Back