What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modifying slider frame for smaller canopy side skirts?

Pilottonny

Well Known Member
Not a discussion about slider versus tip-up, I made that decision a long time ago and I am building a slider.

I noticed that the slider canopy, side skirts, are approx. 2,1/2? higher than the tip-up sides. I guess this will restrict visibility more, especially for smaller persons (my wife). Can anybody flying a slider, comment ?

I was thinking of altering the canopy frame so that the Plexiglas can go as far down as on the tip-up canopies. The Plexiglas is plenty large for that (I guess it is the same mold for the slider and tip-up anyway). I would simply weld a new square tube, a little lower and also 3/8? further inside than the original square tube, in the frame. Since I want to use ?Sika-flex? anyway, I can than glue the sides of the Plexiglas to the outside of the square tube and cover that with shorter side-skirts. No more canopy-side-braces needed. Does anybody see a problem with that?

I still have to check the width with the tubes moved inward approx. 3/8? and how it will work out around the holding pins at the rear. That could be where a problem may occur.

As always, any input is appreciated.

Regards, Tonny.

Interesting Idea

Not sure how it would affect the rigidity of the structure. However, visibility over the side skirts is affected very little. You have a wing out there anyway and already sit pretty high and close to them so sight angles would not be affected much.

Back