What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Wing stand/storage construction

AX-O

Well Known Member
I did a search and found some examples of wings stands but not much on building it or the parts required. You will eventually need one of these. This is what I did. Hopefully it will help someone out there. DR if this is not a tip nor needed, please delete it.

From my log:
I did this a few months ago when I had to help a friend take his RV-4 apart. I built two of the same units. This is a list of the parts required.

One (a) 2X4 6ft long (for the top)
Two (b) 2X4 69 inches long (drill them together and use on the bottom)
Two (c) 2X4 4ft long (for the sides)
Two (d) 4X6 4ft long (for the legs)
Four (e) 4X6 2ft long (side support)
Four (f) Wheels
Two (g) Pyramid shape plywood pieces
Sixteen (h) 90-degree triangle shape plywood pieces
Two (i) Pieces of old fire hose
Two Boxes of wood screws
Sixteen 1/4 inch screws (to attach wheels)

FP09122007A00018.jpg

FP09122007A00019.jpg

FP09122007A0001A.jpg

So where do you source old fire hose?

I've got a set of bike hosits in the garage and fire hose would make an excellent sling to fly my RV-10 empennage off the ceiling.

I found that if you'll modify one end of the cradle to accept the wing spar, a flat surface with cut outs for the spar, the wing cradle becomes more useful. If you have the correct cradle length, you can fix the spar to this end and use the cradle to rivet on bottom skins. It will hold the wing in place, peel back the skins a little and rivet on... :D

So where do you source old fire hose?

I've got a set of bike hosits in the garage and fire hose would make an excellent sling to fly my RV-10 empennage off the ceiling.

Went to the fire station and asked if they had old fire hose that was out of cert. They cut it and gave me about 30 feet.

I found that if you'll modify one end of the cradle to accept the wing spar, a flat surface with cut outs for the spar, the wing cradle becomes more useful.

Working on a doing the same thing. I just have not done it yet.

Wing Cradle

I have basically the same wing cradle Axel has pictured with one exception. Carpet strips are in place of the firehose which seems to work well but use carpet with the woven jute backing for strength. There have been Cessna, Tripacer and RV6 wings on it over the last 20 years. Everytime I try to take it apart someone needs it so it remains there for "airport" use. One caution...on my RV6 I did have some corrosion form on the leading edge skin under the carpet. I would think that would not be a problem in most climates but up in the frozen north most metal hangars have condensation problems in spring when the frost is coming out of the ground. The carpet sling collected this moisture causing the corrosion which was easily removed but could have been serious if left in the sling for a long time.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD 220 hours
RV8 wings
Northfield, MN

I have basically the same wing cradle Axel has pictured with one exception. Carpet strips are in place.......
Ditto.

I built the classic Tony Bingelis design using carpet strips as called out in the plans as published years ago in Sport Aviation magazine.

Back