What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A Cowling fit

hecilopter

Well Known Member
Has anyone had a problem with the fitting of the cowling on the hinge line? I installed the top cowling per instructions except I used skybolt 1/4 turn fasteners. I attached it to the fuselage and when I butted the bottom cowling up to it to fit, one side fit perfectly and the other side fits well on the forward end, but has a 1/4 inch gap between the 2 cowl halves by the time it gets back to the firewall. I can't lift the lower cowl up to fit because it is flush on the bottom. Anyone had this problem? Am I going to have to build up the lower cowling lip before I attach the hinge?

Thanks!

Cowl fit

I'm wrapping up my cowl now. I had some fit trouble at first and then realized I had to MAKE the front end fit before proceeding. I used my Dremel to make things fit between the halves up front. Once that was done everything fit fine.

My fit between halves in the center only took a little sanding. I'm doing the Skybolts tomorrow.

Darwin N. Barrie
P19

Back