What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell BF Retorque and Lubrication

JonJay

Well Known Member
I did a search with no result, and can not find reference in the manual. Does the BF prop need to be retorqued at any specific intervals?
Are there any secrets to its lubrication or is it pretty straight forward?

I retorque my wood Hoffmann prop on my Bucker every year for obvious reasons, never retorqued my metal prop on my old Aeronca though, ever....so not sure what to do with the BF.

Thanks

anybody?

Anybody with experience with the Hartzell Blended Airfoil want to chime in? Appreciated.

Ok...

No retorque required, bolt it on an go :D

For lubing the blades pull the blade T/E zirk and slowly push the grease into the L/E zirk (for each blade). Manual say so many ounces but I do it slowly till I flush a little of the old grease out. Go slow pumping it in so it doesn't get pushed past the seals.

No retorque required, bolt it on an go :D

For lubing the blades pull the blade T/E zirk and slowly push the grease into the L/E zirk (for each blade). Manual say so many ounces but I do it slowly till I flush a little of the old grease out. Go slow pumping it in so it doesn't get pushed past the seals.

Thanks Walt. I will dig into the manual as I am sure there is a recommended grease, but what do you use?

Jon - there should be a sticker on the hub telling you which grease was put in at the factory, and you want to use whatever that is - don't mix them! i follow the service instructions that says "six strokes" of the grease gun", despite wondering how they know that every gun delivers exactly the same amount of grease per pump....but I called and talked to the factory techs one time, and that's what they said!

Paul

Jon - there should be a sticker on the hub telling you which grease was put in at the factory, and you want to use whatever that is - don't mix them! i follow the service instructions that says "six strokes" of the grease gun", despite wondering how they know that every gun delivers exactly the same amount of grease per pump....but I called and talked to the factory techs one time, and that's what they said!

Paul

There is, and I will. Thanks

Back