What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cherry Point, N.C. and Ocracoke questions

pierre smith

Well Known Member
...for you North Carolina guys.
Jenny and I are planning a two-day up and back trip to the Outer Banks on Friday 7th Dec. Looking at a Sectional, I don't see a good way to get there except through R5306A. Is it usual to get a clearance to penetrate it? If I try and go up the coast from Wilmington, there are a bunch of restricted areas. Are these all usually hot? Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Hi Pierre!
I am not from NC but for whats its worth when Laura and I went to Ocracoke this summer from Charleston, it was no problem. We called Cherry Point approach and asked for Flight following and transition thru the restricted area, they were very nice about it and even chatted Rvs some seeing as we were a 190kt GA plane!:D(had a tailwind)
Of course it was a sunday so the are was cold, but it was easy!
Have fun!! Ocracoke is a great place!

Same Experience

Pierre,

I had the same experience as Kirk - they were very accomodating and even offered to do flight following on my flight from DC to MRH (Morehead).

If they are hot and can't let you in, or if you just want blissful radio silence as you enjoy the ocean view, then suggest looking at R5306-C - There is a corridor west of (Class D) NJM in R5306-C and the floor of this R5306-C is 1,200MSL, so you can go right under that and as you are clearly intending a run up the beach, you probably want to fly the deck anyway.

Besides you're an AG pilot, you'll get a nosebleed above 500' AGL;)

Beautiful lighthouse at Cape Lookout SE of Morehead City.

Have a great flight,

Rob

Pierre,

I've flown to Ocracoke a couple times and in general, on the weekends, Cherry Point Approach will allow you to fly through the restricted areas. However, both times, I was denied clearance through 5306A. One on a Friday and one on a Saturday. On the Friday, Cherry Point did give me radar service through their alert area, so I just skirted 5306A past Cherry Point to Beaufort, made a left at the first ocean, and flew up the coast to Ocrocoke. Really a beautiful flight and worthwhile trip. Short walk to town from the airport. You can search this forum for others' recommendations on things to do and where to eat. While you're at it, you might want to go a little further north and check out the Wright Memorial at First Flight. Nice place for photo op with your plane.

Last edited:
I am not from NC neither. Last July when I went there Cherry Point Approach had radio problem. Washington Center cleared me through without any problem. When you land at Ocracoke, you may call Howard's Pub to pick you up. Be aware that most cellphone companies have no service there. My Alltel phone does work however. There is a park service (???) building right outside the airport. I have heard that there is a public phone inside. It was under remodeling in July and the door was locked. Just in case, be prepared.

Ocracoke is my favorite RV daytrip destination - highly recommended.
My favorite way to go is to fly over Cherry Point (check in for traffic advisories), then run the beach all the way up to Ocracoke at 500'ish, being sure to pylon turn around the Cape Lookout lighthouse. Just awesome.

Silly me....

........for not realizing that the area around Cherry Point is only an "alert" area and not a restricted one. Thanks for all the replies guys. It's looking like a 2:30 p.m. wheels-up. Wife's restaurant needs attention 'til then.

We'll be in high-rate-of-fuel-consumption to beat sundown...200TAS/2650 or more......go rocket, go!!:D CAVU weather too...man it don't get no better. I know, I know, redneck jargon.....

Thanks,
Pierre and Jenny

Redneck

Hey Pierre:

Youre going to the "Redneck Riviera"!!!!! Why not use the jargon?

Back