What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Endorsement-Central FL

Transporter

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm traveling to the Orlando area in Jan and will have a week to pick up a tailwheel endorsement, weather permitting.

I'm open to aircraft type (J-3 to Citabria is probably in my price range right now)-just looking for quality instruction at a fair price.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Mike

Air Orlando

Mike,

There is an operation at KORL in downtown Orlando that uses a Citabria for training. I think you can get a tailwheel endorsement from them. I think that it is Air Orlando.

If you have your own taildragger, there are some instructors in the area that can provide the training at less cost. I suspect that Air Orlando will be on the pricey side.

Tony

Tailwheel

Thanks for the feedback!

Surfing the web a bit...also found Preston Aviation in Leesburg, FL (www.flytailwheel.com). They do instruction in both J-3 ($125/hr) and Stearman ($320/hr :eek:). A bit of a commute but doable...

Anyone out there have experience with them/know of other options? Are these prices normal for Central FL?

Mike

Tailwheel endorsement

I received mine from Ron Miller. He is located in South Lakeland X49. He currently has an add in Barnstormers. Ronsflying.com.

Jan Bussell can do it with an RV and will bring it to you. Used him for transitional training and was great. Home phone is 863-467-9354 and cell is 561-628-2105. I always reached him on his cell. PJ

Not needed for an RV...

When Radomir had his -7A signed off by the FAA the guy told him you don't need an endorsement for an experimental aircraft. Apparently they only apply to "certified" aircraft. Because of this, the FAA guy put it in his operating limitations that you had to be appropriately certified with endorsements or some such.

Still, I wouldn't even think of flying a TW w/o some training and the endorsement to satisfy myself and my insurance company.

Tailwheel Endorsement

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with several insurance companies at Osh before making my decision to go with the 8...all of them require a minimum number of hours in taildraggers and in type before they will underwrite.

It'll be awhile before my 8 is finished and I want to stay proficient while I'm building-might as well do at least some of my flying in taildraggers and build up some hours! I've been able to get some RV stick time (cruise flight plus some maneuvering) in the last few weeks so getting the rating in an RV may be an option.

Regards,
Mike

tailwheel

I live near Klee and have heard good things about Preston Aviation in Leesburg, FL I have not personally met him. I was going to get my endorsement from him but after reading the post here I am going to use Jan Bussell because I want to also trasition to an rv

www.ronsflying.com

This is a guy named Ron Miller in Lakeland. He is a top notch ferry pilot-instructor. See his website or call--good guy.

Back