What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Your Paint Opinion, Please

bkc3921

Well Known Member
I would be interested in some of your opinions about types of paint for my 7a..
i.e..DuPont v. Randolph v. Sherwin Williams..etc...also, is a product like DuPont's Imron "harder"..and more durable than other types?..Also..what is everyone's opinion about a 'Clearcoated" finish..is it necessary? Have a paint friend who uses Spies-Hecker, which is a top product..but mostly used for automotive..Is this OK for aviation, or are aviation paints somehow chemically different than automotive products? Anyones $0.02 appreciated...Thanks in advance.

Any good modern urethane paint is pretty darn bomb-proof if properly applied. Some are certainly easier to spray than others, but otherwise they are all about the same. As for aviation-specific paints, I'm not sure I believe the advertising. Think of the abuse a modern car takes in a midwestern winter. Regarding clear vs. non, it's mostly an ease of application thing. Some folks will say that the base-clear weighs more, but I've never seen data to support this. I've seen lots of planes painted both ways and they're all doing fine.

Aviation paints are a little different. Not a whole lot but are made to cope with an airplanes environment better. Most good name brand paints will give you acceptable results but you do get what you pay for. Don't cheap out on your paint job. You built the best airplane, only makes sense to put the best paint on it.

:)

Aviation paints are a little different. Not a whole lot but are made to cope with an airplanes environment better. Most good name brand paints will give you acceptable results but you do get what you pay for. Don't cheap out on your paint job. You built the best airplane, only makes sense to put the best paint on it.

:)

I was told that Sherwin Williams Genesis 3.5 paint is along the lines of their aircraft paint formulas. It's a high end fleet vehicle paint, but still quite expensive. It's flexible & holds up to a long list of solvents & fuels. With four different colors, as well as all the tape, paper, & solvents to clean the paint guns, I was around $1800.00 in materials. Used a gallon of yellow, which is also more expensive than the gray, black, or white.

L.Adamson --- RV6A (pic included)

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7834/dsc05247reducedng4.jpg

Paint

I have had several airplanes painted over the years and have become convinced that a pure polyurethane is preferable. The reason I say this is my current RV-4 is painted with PPG's acrylic urethane (Deltron). It is very easy to spray and polishes out great (clear coated) but it is very brittle and is now cracking here and there. Perhaps with a flex additive this may have been better. Jet Glo, AlumaGrip, and others seem to be better adapted to aircraft use but require a professional (aka expensive) application.

I have had good results using Polyfiber Aerothane. It is very flexible and durable. My 7A has been painted for over 4 years and still looks great. Easy to use. I used a Citation HVLP system. I painted my fabric covered SeaRey with it and I understand it still looks good after nearly 8 years.

Roberta

Consider Stewart Systems

I have been experimenting with Stewart Systems two-part urethane top coat. It is water bourn, and hence much less toxic that a lot of other aviation paints. So far, it makes a nice finish that is tough as nails.

The folks there have been very helpful to me as a novice painter. Check out their website. I am not associated in any way other than an enthusiastic customer.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8
San Ramon

Back