What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL30 with 8,33 kHz spacing ??

Pilottonny

Well Known Member
Hello everybody,

I am planning on installing the Garmin SL30, NAV/COMM, because it should work well with the Dynon EFIS and got all the features that I need. With the current Dollar to Euro rate, I think it surely beats Becker, Filser, etc,. price wise.

There is just one thing I noticed last weekend, while reading my favorite Aviation mag.: In Europe, 8,33 kHz spacing is mandatory for IFR since the beginning of this year and it will also be mandatory for VFR aircraft by 2013.

The SL30 has 760 channels, thus 25 kHz spacing. Now, I know, that 2013 is still a good 5 years away, but by the time I am in the air, it may only be another 4 or even 3 years. Even at a good $-rate, I believe that 3 to 4 years is a short life for such an instrument. Does anybody know if there is a Garmin SL30 with 8,33 kHz spacing in the making? Maybe a possibility to upgrade? Or does anybody know of a NAV/COMM that is similar to the SL30 and already has 8,33 spacing?

I bet there is a lot of builders here in Europe with similar questions. So let us know what you know.

Regards, Tonny.

Dag Tonny,

no 8.33 kHz SL30, and no plans from Garmin, as far as I know. They basically just changed the bezel of the old Apollo box when they acquired the company, and kept it exactly the same.

Can you send me references to the obligation to carry 8.33 kHz for *every* IFR flight in Europe, which you say is already in place? In my country, Alitalia flies ATR-42s with no 8.33 kHz, and surely is still using them these days.

Last I read from the Eurocontrol website is that 8.33 kHz is now mandatory above FL195, but nothing has been set in stone for the lower levels:

http://www.eurocontrol.int/833

The latest 8.33 Steering Committee meeting held mid-November is mentioned in this page:

http://www.eurocontrol.int/vhf833/public/news/071114_sc6m.html

8.33 for IFR no earlier than 2011, for VFR no earlier than 2013.

Given what happened with the initial mode S deadlines, pushed out many times, I would not hold my breath so much, quite frankly. I am sincerely doubtful we will ever see 8.33 kHz used in the lower airspace, let alone for VFR flights.

MvG, Luca
(lived close to EBBR for 6 years...)

Above FL 195 !

Sorry Luca,

Indeed, I forgot to mention "mandatory above FL195" :eek:
So what you are saying is, it may well take a few years more, before it becomes mandatory, or maybe not come at all. That would be good!

Regards, Tonny.

PS: Ooit op EBZW (zwartberg) geweest in die tijd?

Last edited:
Radios with 8.33khz spacing

I've just been thinking about this issue - at the moment SFAIK, the only radios available with 8.33 spacing are the Filser ATR833 and Garmin 430/530? Are there any others suitable for use in an RV and what are other european RV builders doing? Sticking with 25 khz spacing?

Chris

PS: Ooit op EBZW (zwartberg) geweest in die tijd?
(I'll switch to english as "Ik spreek en begrijp maar en beetje vlaams"... :eek:)

Never been to Zwartberg. Only drove once around Kleine Brogel to spot the easy-to-find ONT beacon, though! :D

I only flew once or twice out of Kortrijk EBKT as I have a friend, SNBA Avro pilot and GA instructor, who was having his students rent there. His name is Tim Lemahieu, you might know him.

I was doing most of my flying in the US back when I was living in Brussels, as I was very often in California for work.

MvG, Luca

I've just been thinking about this issue - at the moment SFAIK, the only radios available with 8.33 spacing are the Filser ATR833 and Garmin 430/530? Are there any others suitable for use in an RV and what are other european RV builders doing? Sticking with 25 khz spacing?
I'd stick to 25 kHz for the moment, no reason to rush really IMHO.

What I am a little surprised of is that the new Icom IC-A210 does not have 8.33 kHz, which should be a snap to have in a fully digital modern radio. Go figure! :confused:

I am still very much convinced that we won't be seeing 8.33 kHz in the lower levels anytime soon...

Ciao, Luca

8.33 Khz Spacing

Luca.

I believe the version of the new ICOM especially developed for the European market has 8.33 KHz spacing.

From a recent talk I had with the radio guy who works for the French DGAC he seemed to think we would have to go with the new radios even for VFR sometime in 2012.

My choice, because of panel space, would be for a SL30 8 Khz version if ever that was developed.

Ciao

Barry

RV6A F-PRVM

Salut Barry,
I believe the version of the new ICOM especially developed for the European market has 8.33 KHz spacing.
that would make sense to me. Not sure why Icom would rather have two different part numbers instead of having only one with the 8.33 kHz option available as a software configuration item, like Garmin has in the 400 and 500 series units, though.

From a recent talk I had with the radio guy who works for the French DGAC he seemed to think we would have to go with the new radios even for VFR sometime in 2012.
well, the websites I refer in my original answer to Tonny clearly state that no decision has been taken yet.

I bet that IAOPA (International AOPA) will make quite a lot of noise on the introduction of 8.33 in the lower airspace, as much as they did for mode S. Europeans will eventually get 8.33 everywhere, but I'd rather delay this as long as possible, quite frankly.

Ciao, Luca

Back