What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to Boston

N98HK

There's a good chance I'll be moving to the Boston area in the next 4 months. Any builders/flyers up there in the great white north? Active EAA chapters? Is there a particular airport with a lot of RVs? Any airports to avoid? (other than Logan!) Anybody know of an open hangar or portion of a hangar? Thanks in advance for the info.

So sad to hear of your misfortune. Anyway, there are several good controlled-field airports in that area such as Norwood, Bedford, and Beverly, and some smaller, uncontrolled fields like Minuteman. While I used to fly into BED two or three times a week, I'm no longer current on the hanger situation in the area. Good luck!

Hi Dave,

There are lots of us building/flying RVs around Boston. The choice of airports will depend on where you plan to live.

If you'll be on the north/northwest side of town, there are several controlled fields - Beverly, Lawrence, Hanscom and Nashua NH - and a couple of uncontrolled fields - Minuteman and Fitchburg. Lawrence has the most active EAA chapter in the area - Chapter 106.

On the south side, the only controlled field is Norwood, uncontrolled fields are Marshfield, Taunton, Plymouth, and Mansfield.

Where to go? If I were moving to the area and could make the commute work, I'd go to Plymouth. There are already several RVs either flying or building around that area, there's a good EAA chapter at the airport, and hangar space can usually be found. The only place I'd avoid is Hanscom. I teach out of there now - too busy, too expensive, too many bizjets, hangar space hard to find and expensive.

Good luck with your move, I'll be glad to give you more info on or off-list...shoot me a PM or email (setser at rcn dot com).

Dave

Last edited:
OMG!

Now we have a THIRD Dave in our local group!

:D

Dave, I fly out of KPYM and it is a pretty cool airport. We have about 5 flying RV's here. Mine is still in my garage, but my hangar is occupied with a -6 right now. Activity is brisk and conversation is always good!

If you want a behind the scenes tour of KPYM, lemme know. I ummmm, get around there pretty good!

:) CJ

Airport options west of Boston

Hi Dave,

I keep my -4 at Worcester airport. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Worcester (ORH), but it works for me for now. I have also kept planes at Nashua (ASH), Bedford (BED), Stow (6B6), and Fitchburg (FIT). Of those listed, Nashua would definitely be my preference. I would be happy to provide more info, feel free to contact me off line.

Regards,

Dean Pichon
RV-4/400 hrs
Bolton, MA

I live about an hour north of Boston in Portsmouth, NH. If you end up north of Boston, Hampton, NH (K7B3) has a great 3000 ft grass field with lots of cubs and antiques, its also a great place for lunch. As for my plane when its done, I will probably be keeping it at Pease KPSM - a 150'x12000' old AFB strip. Let me know if you ever want to meet up.

Chris

LWM..

I have an RV4 at Lawrence North of the city. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help you get started. Just shoot me a pm....

John

Gents-
This is some great info - thanks! I'm going to be up there visiting family this Christmas, and will probably check out some of the airports. I'm going to be working on Hanscom, so we'll be looking around NW Boston and S New Hampshire. Is it tough to find a hangar to rent or share in the area? How is supply v demand?

If I worked at Hanscom, I know where I'd be keeping my airplane :)

Then again, it would probably take only a few weeks of sunny days before i got myself fired.

Gents-
I'm going to be working on Hanscom, so we'll be looking around NW Boston and S New Hampshire. Is it tough to find a hangar to rent or share in the area? How is supply v demand?

Dave,

Check your PM...I sent you a message.

Dave

Hangar Space

I recall getting a message on the Boston area RV group that there was a hangar available in Nashua, NH. Very good airfield, but often busy with Danial Webster college operating out of there. If you are interested in the hangar please let me know and I'll try to track down the current occupant. I work with one of the previous occupants and could get you some contact information.

ASH..

I used to live in that Hangar at ASH. It is very nice. New and very well insulated. Used to be able to work in there all winter. It is a busy field. But it's a fun place to base with lots of neat planes. I'm at LWM now. It's a much closer commute to my plane. But I did enjoy ASH very much while I was there. FWIW.

John

Back