What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into San Francisco/Oakland

mannanj

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of flying into the Oakland area Christmas to visit my son who lives there. He lives just S/E of KOAK. What airport would you California guys consider the best/easiest and most RV friendly to fly into for a few days?

I plan to rent a car, so driving a few miles to stay out of the way of the big iron is ok.

As John said KHWD would be the best. You will have to duck it under the Oakland charlie airspace, 1500 msl and the San Francisco bravo above that, if VFR. Also another choice is KRHV 25 NM SE of KHWD. Just outside of San Francisco bravo. Enterpise Rental Car is on the field and some what cheap transient parking.

Aaron

Last edited:
HWD or OAK

HWD is probably your best bet. OAK has a fair GA section also, but HWD is definitely lower hassle.

You might even be able to get temporary group hangar space from the folks that run the fuel pumps (call the Hayward Jet Center and ask for Brad or Kyra - tell them Kevin, the guy who used to keep an RV-7 in his hangar sent ya).

Oakland

Thanks guys! Just the info I am looking for. Does Air Traffic Control encourage flight following in the Bay Area? Here in Atlanta, dealing with them is a bear. Might try HWD and expand my horizons!:D

Bay Area Airspace

Unless you're comfortable dodging a Class B and a Class C to get into Hayward (not a problem if you're familiar with the area but it's not flat and you have to hug some hills) it would be a cinch to go into Livermore or Concord as previously suggested. Both flat and simple, both within 25 minutes of "SE of Oakland". I fly into Concord a couple days a week and stay in the Oakland hills, 20 min. from Concord. Check your map, Livermore sounds like a more direct drive if you're further south. And welcome to the Bay Area! :D

Thanks guys! Just the info I am looking for. Does Air Traffic Control encourage flight following in the Bay Area? Here in Atlanta, dealing with them is a bear. Might try HWD and expand my horizons!:D

Should be no problem. The bay area controllers are generally quite friendly (definitely the HWD twr guys - I've given a few of them RV rides). Even bay approach is generally friendly - if you get handed off to them or call em up then they will generally help with the transition into Hayward - even going through the class B/C if that works best.

Edit: Brian's note is true, any slight hassle of flying into HWD is worth avoiding the highway from LVK/RHV ;).

Last edited:
You guys are brutal!

He's flying all the way from Georgia and you want him to land short and battle the 580/680 traffic. That's just mean;), may as well tell him the best time from Livermore to Oakland is 0800 M-F. :D

I worked at Livermore Labs from '87-90. My commute was from Fairfield down 680 to Pleasanton then 580 to Livermore. 58 miles or ~1hr (if i left at 0615) BUT sometimes this drive took 2-3hrs. I moved to Montana and have never been back.

Last edited:
You guys are brutal!

He's flying all the way from Georgia and you want him to land short and battle the 580/680 traffic. That's just mean;), may as well tell him the best time from Livermore to Oakland is 0800 M-F. :D

Even 0500 M-F is brutal on that commute from East Livermore to Oakland!:eek:

I'm thinking of flying into the Oakland area Christmas to visit my son who lives there. He lives just S/E of KOAK. What airport would you California guys consider the best/easiest and most RV friendly to fly into for a few days?

I plan to rent a car, so driving a few miles to stay out of the way of the big iron is ok.

If you are comfortable talking to center and approach, KOAK is also a good choice. You can get a transient spot and a rental car at KaiserAir.

Norcal Approach is a pleasure to deal with. The only thing you have to be aware of is that they will assume that you are familiar with the landmarks. They'll say things like "at or below 2500 to the mormon temple" or "stay east of 880" or "fly north and east of the bay bridge toll plaza". If you're unfamiliar let them know and they'll give you vectors instead. Oakland tower will also advise to stay well north of 29, that's where the heavies land. The GA runways are 27/9 (two parallels). Study the airport diagram carefully before you fly in.

Oh and while you are there, you gotta ask for a "bay tour" and fly over the Golgen Gate and Alcatraz. It's an awsome sight seing trip.

If you want more info just holler. Those are my old stomping grounds so I'm pretty familiar with the drill.

Coincidence?

Thanks guys,
Mannan, I also have two grown kids living in Fremont and plan on Delta out there shortly after Christmas. Maybe we can hook up.

Regards,

Coincidence

Will do Pierre. Wx will be a big factor. We'll be stopping in Texas (DFW and Austin) too.

Flight Following

I live around there and personally would not use flight following for this. You have two Class C's and a Class B close to Hayward and you will get moved around so a Southwest plane can have an easier time getting into Oakland. Get a TAC for SF and the path in will be easy. To answer your question about ATC around here is that they will welcome you into the system and then move you out of the way. Surrendering to this is most likely not going to cause you grief, but getting moved around can be frustrating. It's more fun to listen as the 737's get vectored. :D

Best,

Oakland is my crew base and I fly 737's in there almost daily. We always mingle with GA traffic with no problem. Had to remind the guy I was flying with recently that not every airplane in the sky is an aluminum sewer pipe, some people fly for fun.He was grumbling about us being vectored around a light plane on approach for the east side of the field.

Back