What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponders

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
Anyone know of a transponder with integrated encoder? If not why doesn't some company make one, it would save a lot of wiring. One is not too useful without the other.

Thanks, I'll look into that one. Won't be needing it for a year or so. I hated all the wires running between my encoder and GTX 327 in my 6A, just seems silly that other companies are not doing this in one box.

You can do away with the blind encoder if you go with a GTX330 and a Grand Rapids EFIS. The Grand Rapids EFIS has a built in encoder and will display traffic from the GTX330 on the EFIS. One less box and set of wiring and in addition to an EFIS you get traffic display as well.

Russ Daves
N710RV (Reserved RV-10 Fuselage on main gear)

Also, the Dynon EFIS's output the RS-232 serial data to capable Txpdrs, which at the moment include the GTX-327 and 330 (as well as the now defunct but nice SL-70).

The 330 will output traffic to both the GRT EFIS and the Chelton EFIS (both require an ARINC 429 converter).

Cheers,
Stein.

I contacted Filser and got a quote of 3000 Euros for their TRT800H Mode S. Ouch, won't be going that route. Probably get another Garmin transponder and use a new Narco encoder I had left over again.

No EFIS for me this time, going with steam gauges for the engine and flight instruments. Didn't like waiting for menus to scroll with digital displays during flight testing and engine development with my -6A Sube. Sounds like I might be the only RV10 so equipped!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Back