What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

weight

777Dave

Well Known Member
Sorta related to the "import" thread....
I understand that if I was to bring in an RV-4 I would have to stick with Van's max weight of 1500# even though many flying in the U.S. operate at weights up to 1800#. Has anyone applied to TC to raise the max weight of an imported RV? I am told it can be done but requires some doing. Many of the 4's that I have seen are over the max weight with full fuel and 2 passengers... an extra 100 lbs would be useful. :rolleyes:

Sorta related to the "import" thread....
I understand that if I was to bring in an RV-4 I would have to stick with Van's max weight of 1500# even though many flying in the U.S. operate at weights up to 1800#.

Just wondering, what exactly your goverment (whatever) says that who defines that MTOW? Because Van's is NOT manufacturer of the plane but the builder itself is. Therefore the manufacturer (builder) can set the MTOW. You don't have any 'certified like' documents from the Van's either so...

Different rules in Canada

Dave.

The rules are different in Canada. I recommend having a heart to heart with the HEAD inspector for your area.

Bevan

weight increase

Just wondering, what exactly your goverment (whatever) says that who defines that MTOW? Because Van's is NOT manufacturer of the plane but the builder itself is. Therefore the manufacturer (builder) can set the MTOW. You don't have any 'certified like' documents from the Van's either so...

Apparently because I am importing an already flying airplane and not building one, TC says I have to use Van's suggested MTOW which is 1500# for the RV-4. The inspector that I spoke with, says I can submit a request to raise that weight but must support such a request with appropriate documentation. Not sure if Van's will help or not?? Has anyone tried this before?I have a friend that built and flys a 4 and is interested in doing this as well.

Apparently because I am importing an already flying airplane and not building one, TC says I have to use Van's suggested MTOW which is 1500# for the RV-4. The inspector that I spoke with, says I can submit a request to raise that weight but must support such a request with appropriate documentation. Not sure if Van's will help or not?? Has anyone tried this before?I have a friend that built and flys a 4 and is interested in doing this as well.
Dave - I work in TC, but not in the part that deals with amateur-built aircraft. My advice is to get the aircraft in the country with the 1500 lb MTOW, and not get into a pissing contest with the inspector until after you have the aircraft flying in Canada. Then, when he asks for "appropriate documentation" to support a weight increase, ask him where in Airworthiness Manual Chapter 549, or the associated Airworthiness Manual Advisories it describes structural design requirements, or requires the builder to do any structural substantiation. Then ask him what structural substantiation they require from people who design their own aircraft. If need be, I can talk to the guys here in Ottawa who are in charge of setting policy on amateur-built aircraft. I am fairly certain (but not 100% sure) that they would agree that no structural substantiation is required.

4 weight

I like your suggestion Kevin. The people that I have spoken with at TC have been very helpful and pleasant. I would not have expected that this situation would have been impossible to resolve... thanks for your input.

I'm still a bit curious about the experience of others?;)

Thanks

I agree with Kevin, register the aircraft at 1500 lbs. I was told, by a TC official, a couple of years ago that raising the gross weight of a flying experimental is no big deal. Essentially just a letter was all that was requested. I sugest a good time to do this would be at the time you submit your annual inspection documentation.

I have been thru this exercise. Do not waste your time calling Van's, they will not issue any letters or advice in order to raise the gross weight above their published specs. I agree with what has been said above. Get the plane into Canada and licensed and flying. After that has been done apply for a gross weight increase, more than likely TC will give it to you if it is within reason. If you try to get the local MDRA inspector to do it you won't have much luck. They do not like putting their name on the line saying that the plane is ok at weights higher than published. They feel it becomes a liability issue.

Back