What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inverted oil

rph142

Well Known Member
Is anyone flying with inverted oil in their RV-3? I want to be able to fly some basic inverted stuff... slow rolls and inverted 45 degree lines. Space looks to be very very limited. Pictures would be great. Thanks.

The available space between the engine and firewall is indeed very limited. I've never installed a Christen system but looking at others I'd say you'd have to get very creative to make space for it. Then there's the additional weight of an inverted oil system.

Rob: Give it some serious thought. Wrong kind of wing for sustained inverted, Arm not long enough for the foreward stick required, in the verticle, "Hammerhead", the balls don't know which way to select the oil source. so pressure and surging prop likely. As Randy says All that weight not good... COST.. I have it on my RV4 waste of time and money. Opted out on my RV3B Good Luck RB

I was looking into the Raven system becuase they say its a bit smaller than the Christed system. Of course it might not be small enough. My dads Super Decathalon was a dog upside down but it was still a lot of fun. I wonder how the 3B compares? Any idea how aerobatic planes handle the ball problem when doing vertical rolls and hammerheads?

Any idea how aerobatic planes handle the ball problem when doing vertical rolls and hammerheads?
I tipped the ball valve about 15 degrees aft, rather than bolting it flat to the firewall. Thus if I do a vertical up line, the ball will go to the inverted flight position, and on a vertical downline, it will go to the normal flight position.

Back