What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

missing elevator stop

freegespeed

I have owned an RV6A for three years, and after having had four annual inspections, counting the one I'm going through now, I'm surprised to find my my A&P mechanic has noticed what appears to be a missing up elevator stop piece. My max up elevator horn position hits directly onto the fuselage at the spot where the rear cut out is located. It has a right angle skeletal piece and some sheet metal skin attached to it. The plans show a stop that is supposed to be under this area but the plans are vague about its size and thickness. The elevator travel is right within the middle of the range for going both up and down. It seems strange that this is just now being discovered but facts are facts. The builder passed his airworthyness inspection and neither the horn or the cross brace show any signs of abuse.

I have also done archival searches and have found some threads about control stops needing to be off of the fuselage structure its self to be properly rigged in certified airplanes.

I was thinking of putting a high grade rubber trim piece on the edge of the area where contact is being made.

The other option is to take off the rudder and rivet on an official up stop piece as per plans. I'm not too sure how hard or easy it is to remove the rudder, although it doesn't appear to be that hard.

I guess my questions would be, should I be concerned about this in the first place? Also, if so, then is the removal on RV6A rudder a doable job for a non builder with a good amount of RV maintanence experience?

Any help would be appreciated.

Check the plans closely

I'll chime in since no one else has. I can't speak with certainty about the six since I am building a seven, but Van's designs tend to be very similar. The up elevator stop on a seven is just what you are describing, part of the fuselage structure. There are no separate (nor adjustable) stops. A rubber bumper is not needed nor desired, since it could come loose and jam up the works. I'll wager you are fine and built according to plans, but if you can't figure it out by looking at the plans find a six builder and have him take a look. Look in the written narrative as well as on the drawn plans. As far as removing the tail goes, it is just nuts and bolts. Getting the hinge bolts back in can be a chore. Tools for the purpose are available

I found this on the Matronics list, if it helps.

Dated 2005:

"There are positive stops on the elevator for up and down.
These are bolted to the fuselage aft deck and stop the travel of the
elevator horns. The up elevator stop is not used on my airplane because
the control horn wound up hitting the aft bulkhead before it hit the
stop and the angle was about right. Van's said this was okay."

L.Adamson

good ideas

First, thanks for the responses. I checked my plans and there is a vague drawing of the elevator stops. I suspect that the builder actually customizes his stops somewhat in thickness of aluminum, and a 1/4 inch here or there in position. There are some RV guys down here at Brown field so I'll check with them on it. I might call Vans as well.

The Matronics archive is helpful as well. Hopefully I can get flying again soon.

Last edited:
The UP elevator stop is a piece of flat plate riveted onto the inside of the back bulkhead where the elevator horn can contact it and "stop". I forgot this in the build process and only found out after I had everything assemble in final assembly.
My horn would hit the bulkead long before it hit the back of the cut out in the upper deck. I simply took the rudder off, worked through the access plate, and bolted a piece of 1/8" plate where it was supposed to be in the first place. Maybe a two hour job if that.
Frankly, I doubt that it would even be necessary. That bulkhead has the vertical stab bolted to it so it is already very rigid and I doubt it would be a problem even over time. Still, any easy fix.

Back