What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

S-19 Progress Report

Phyrcooler

Well Known Member
There is a new update posted on the RANS website here:

http://www.rans.com/S19progress11-21-07.htm

Nice looking plane... and I do like the seats. I'd sure like to do a side by side comparison and flight test.

Has anybody flown this bird yet? I had hoped to do so at Copperstate... but couldn't get away due to all the fires here in SoCal. I guess that I will have to wait until June for the Golden West flyin. Hopefully both the RV-12 and the S-19 will be there. I see that the S-19 is still on the heavy side... and while they talk of looking for parts they can lighten up... reality is that it will be hard to shave more than a couple pounds.

Oh... and Happy Thanksgiving to all our VAF'ers that celebrate it! :)

DJ

Yes - I remember that thread. Good write-up and pictures. I guess what I am looking for and didn't correctly say... is has anybody flown BOTH birds yet. Be nice to hear a side by side comparison. I'll definitely fly both at first opportunity... which as I mentioned previous, will probably not be until June. DJ

Power for S-19

I also got to fly the S-19 with Randy. The airport we used was about 5000' MSL. If I remember correctly, Randy mentioned that if he were based there, he probably build it with the Rotax 914 rather than the 912. He said that it would still qualify as a LSA (since the performance limits are set for sea level flying), but at altitude you'd be able to fly at 170 MPH. And it would climb a lot faster. Interesting.

RV-12T (turbo)

Randy mentioned that he...would probably build it with the Rotax 914 rather than the 912...would still qualify as a LSA (since the performance limits are set for sea level flying), but at altitude you'd be able to fly at 170 MPH. And it would climb a lot faster.

So what do you think? Will the Rotax 914 fit inside the cowling of the RV-12? I looked at some Rotax engine photos, and it seems the air inlet for the turbocharger is on the right side of the engine. I wonder if Van considered and engineered for this option. If so, the RV-12 might cruise almost as fast as an RV-9A at altitude. The cost of the Rotax 914 appears to be about $11K higher than the 912S.

Consider these factors:

Buildability, RV-12 beats RV-9A hands down;
RV-12 is sport pilot eligible; and,
Completed cost for RV-9A and RV-12T (turbo) may be about the same; so,

RV-12T could offer serious competion for the RV-9A.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, TX
http://flybigbend.com

So what do you think? Will the Rotax 914 fit inside the cowling of the RV-12?
Eh, dunno ... I would think that the extra $$ would not be worth it - 914 is a pretty hefty premium over the 912S.

Why not just use a 912S and an in-flight adjustable pitch prop? These are made for the 912S. Yes, you loose LSA status if you do that, but you get a lot more take-off and climb performance out of the Rotax, and there's no re-engineering the engine (say that three times fast).

RV-12T would perform well at high altitude, though. Will VNE be high enough to take advantage of this? Remember that VNE is based on TAS, not IAS.

TODR

Rotax 914 install

The weight increase would be approx. 21 lbs.
The motor will mount up to the existing cowling and motor mount. An inflight adjustable propeller is a MUST, Constant speed preferred. Only real draw back are;
1.. 914 uses TWO electric fuel pumps that draw 3.5 amps each so your usefull electrical load drops to 11 amps at 4800 rpm and above. An alternator can be installed but this adds another 19 lbs.

2.. 914 uses a return fuel system (just like most fuel injection cars). You will have to add a return line to the tank.

3.. 914 has to have electrical power to run. If you loose the electrical system you loose the pumps, not a big deal you just have to design it accordingly (Rotax has drawings for all this).

I have already measured the prototype for the 914 install in every respect. I have flow the 914 in airplanes including the Titan T-51 we have. The engine is wonderful. Tough to describe setting a 700 fpm climb and as you pass 15,000 ft realizing that you will pass out before the motor does.... The take-off performance with 914 in the T-51 is very impressive because even a 100 degree day at 6000 density it still makes full power and pins you in the seat on takeoff. Love the motor....However I have some concerns about adding the weight. Motor is 21 lbs more, alternator is 19 lbs. Propeller w/hydraulic governor is 5 lbs. This equals 45 lbs. Total cost difference from a 912s with prop that Vans has is $16,150.00 USD more than what the prototype costs. Pencils out to roughly $64,000.00 USD for the kit, firewall forward, paint and panel.

Don't forget I am a die hard Rotax fan, But a Jabiru 3300 is 120hp, $15,000 CHEAPER, and weighs only 25 lbs more than a 912s installed weight and has a dramatically simpler installation.

Sad, I have p-51 mustang I can fly and I want a RV-12 w/912 so I can have fun.....I need a drink.

SLSA Certification

Ran's announced that they have achieved SLSA certification for their S-19 yesterday. (Not considering... as I'll be building whatever I get). However, with my last communication with them... she's still a bit on the pudgy side. Other than the weight issue... it looks like they have done a real nice job with her.

Well... I'm still cheering on the Van's Team. Hope they get 'er done soon!

DJ

For the S-19 followers

Here's a pic or two of the tail kit for the S-19.

airplanes024.jpg

airplanes023.jpg

BTW: Rans OEM price for the 912 is still $16200.

Where are all the rivet holes?

:D The RV-12 will be 100% prepunched (all skins and substructure parts).
No jigs or supporting structures required during construction.
(since this is an RV forum, I didn't think anyone would mind me mentioning it):)

:D The RV-12 will be 100% prepunched (all skins and substructure parts).
No jigs or supporting structures required during construction.
(since this is an RV forum, I didn't think anyone would mind me mentioning it):)

I asked the same question when I took these pics. The skins are all punched, just not the ribs and some of the spar. No real answer, but speculation is these are the first tails to be shipped and later ones may have the ribs punched. Everything is going together well. The jigs are supplied with the kit.

The manual and the component quality appears slightly less than my RV-7.

If you live anywhere near Charleston, SC and would like to see (and maybe fly) the S-19, our EAA chapter will be hosting a Rans visit on their way to the LSA expo Sebring FL. Details: www.eaa477.org

S-19 Visit to Charleston

Thanks for letting us know. Do we need to register with anyone, or just show up?

Cool stuff. I've been anxiously waiting to see some pics of one under construction, thanks. Question... the flutes in the ribs... did you flute them or did they come from the factory that way? I ask because the flutes in the picture seem to be wider than those we do with our hand tools.

Cool stuff. ........did you flute them or did they come from the factory that way?.......

I didn't flute any, all I've done is snap the picture. I haven't been over there much lately. But you're in luck...My friend and wife are coming over today for Prime Rib, so I'm certain airplane construction will be the topic for today. He is also a tech counselor and will be inspecting my work thus far.

Here's the scoop. Ribs come prefluted, but not drilled. Jigs are required, but included. This may change now that Rans has gotten S-LSA certification. They are building a new factory and plan on producing S-LSA planes in 10 months. The kits should improve.

Rumor they are also looking at Jabiru or other engine mount option. Rotax pricing thru the factory just went up another $1800.

The S-19 is NOT coming to Charleston

Unfortunately Rans will not have time to visit us here in Charleston, SC :(

They're snowed in there in Hays, Kansas and will be starting later than expected on their trip to the Sport Aviation Expo in Sebring.

I hope they have good weather enroute and can enjoy some of that Florida sunshine!

Re: The S-19 is NOT coming to Charleston

Too bad that Rans won't be coming to Charleston after all. It was great that they were willing, though. Thanks for keeping us informed!

lost your contact info

While on vacation, I accidently deleted a PM from a builder looking for Rans info. I think you were from Australia(?) or NZ. Please contact me if you want some info.

Sorry, Brian

Back