What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moontown, Alabama EAA Fly In Breakfast

rv7boy

Forum Peruser
I'm not sure this qualifies as a Trip Report since it only takes a little over a half hour total time to fly to and from Moontown (3M5) from Decatur Pryor Field (DCU) in an RV. Every third Saturday, the EAA chapter in Huntsville which meets at Moontown Airport, hosts a fly in breakfast. Moontown has to be one of the very few airports with that old time feel. The 2200 foot smooth grass runway regularly provides takeoff and landing opportunities for all varieties of aircraft including ultralights, gliders, certified singles and twins, kitbuilts, scratchbuilts, true production experimental prototypes, Yaks, Antonovs, WWII warbirds, amphibious floatplanes, biplanes, taildraggers, nosedraggers, etc.

On Saturday, Dan Cunningham and I flew over in his RV-9A and I took my camera along. I made a lot of photos, but these are representative of the huge variety of aircraft at Moontown. If you ever get a chance, drop in on Moontown, especially on any third Saturday morning. If the weather is VFR, you will not be disappointed. It's a regular flying destination for members of the TVRVBG (Tennessee Valley RV Builders Group), and several photos depict TVRVBG members enjoying their Saturday morning at Moontown.

I posted a Picasa album at

http://tinyurl.com/2b5xe5

Since I tend to be verbose with the captions, you may want to set your slide show setting to more than 4 seconds per frame.

Also, there are two videos and some neat still photos available on the Moontown web site at

www.moontownairport.com

It's my favorite grass airport and a favorite destination of a lot of RV pilots in North Alabama and Middle Tennessee.

Don

Last edited:
Don,
Thanks for posting the pix and links. I really like the video. Moontown has been on my list of places to go ever since I read an article about in one of the aviation rags.
Maybe I'll plan to get there before the end of the year.

Next Moontown Breakfast...Dec. 15!

Don,
Thanks for posting the pix and links. I really like the video. Moontown has been on my list of places to go ever since I read an article about in one of the aviation rags.
Maybe I'll plan to get there before the end of the year.

Thanks, Bruce. You should mark December 15th on your calendar. That's the next 3rd Saturday, and if the weather is VFR, you can be one of several RV's to show up.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Don

I was there. Even though you don't have a picture of my lightning fast '65 PA-28.:) I love Moontown. I'm going to try to make all of the pancake breakfasts there. The turnout is quite good and the mix of airplanes is very interesting.

Moontown in December

Hi Bruce...and others,

The weather forecast for North Alabama for Saturday morning looks like low ceilings and rain, so flying in to Moontown for the monthly EAA breakfast looks doubtful.

PLUS, I am obligated to a family gathering in Tennessee (it is the holiday season) and would not have attended Moontown on Saturday anyway.

Hopefully, I will be able to meet you, Bruce, and other RVators at some future Moontown flyins. Again, the EAA chapter in Huntsville hosts a breakfast every third Saturday. It's a neat place to be on Saturday morning even if the weather doesn't cooperate with good flying weather.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays, everyone!

Don :)

Don,

You're right, crappy weather tomorrow and high winds forecast for Sunday. This will be a maintenence weekend for me. I have a little brake issue to try and get cleared up and while I'm at it I will look over my FF since the top half of the cowl will be off.

Otherwise, I'll stay at home and work on my biplane project.
I'll certainly keep Moontown on my shortlist of places to visit. Perhaps next month.

Merry Christmas!

Back