What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A200 to A210 switcheroo and Dynon tones

carguy614

Well Known Member
Just slid in my 210 in place of the old 200. Awesome radio and display is most legible. Best I have ever seen. Just a note to new installers. If you have aux inputs wired directly to the radio, you must go into setup and enable them. Test them without the squelch "test" position icon displayed, as the aux inputs are blocked with the squelch open. Aux inputs enable when squelch closes.

Another point. Icom has 3 aux inputs. I used one for marker tones from VAL INS422, one for INS422 audio input, and paralelled my Dynon EMS 120 warning tone and D100 AOA tone together into the same audio input on the A210. You can adjust the audio gain for the aux inputs from the A210 setup menu. This works perfectly, and came out pleasingly balanced without installation of balancing pots. Dynon provides different tone freqs for the EMS and EFIS product, and both can be heard at the same time. I have an Ipod tied to the Sig Sport 200S for stereo music through the intercom, and I'll be darned if it all doesn't work perfectly without installing an audio panel (hate those things) to manage it all.

Just thought I would share the results with all of you, as I suspect a lot of builders may want to install these popular avionics in their planes as well

Regards...Chris

A210 switcheroo and dynon tones

Just one other note. DSAB connection supports alarm sharing between the Dynon units, but does not support audio tone generation between the two. These outputs are discrete. I wonder if the new Dynon firmware brought any changes to this setup.

Regards...Chris

Thanks!

Chris,

You answered all my A210 questions.

I have exactly the same set up as you but a different GPS (496). I guess, I would still need to pull the radio plug and wire it to the 496 if I were to upgrade my A200.

210 switcheroo

Bill...Confused. Does the 496 have tone output?? Cool if it does. I have an Avmap EKP IV in mine, and struggling to get the autopilot to talk to it. I am referring to the Val INS 422 approach system in my plane. Two tone outputs from this bugger that Val says need to stay discrete. One for MB and one for station audio. Although I don't see why they need to be wired to different pins, as it seems that all of the aux inputs will be parrelled inside the radio at some point. Anyhoo, works fine. All you need to do is crimp or solder on a new connector pin,(included with new radios) and puish it in the back of the Molex. No need to remove the shell from the rack. Bill, I am glad I did the radio upgrade. Worth the extra dough for sure. Dual channel monitor is like 2 radio for me. Need that in the ILM TRSA.

Regards...and happy TGiving...Chris

Bill...Confused. Does the 496 have tone output?? Cool if it does.
Chris,

Yes and no. All the tone outputs from the 496 are via the stereo out jack. If you want to wire the warning tones to your Sig Sport 200S and still use an iPod jack, buy a stereo balance control and wire them to the stereo in. This will allow you "balance" (duh) the two audio inputs together.

I have not tried this but one of my brothers used to be the head stereo designer for Audio Research and he gave me this tip.

Regarding the A200...

This past weekend we took a trip and is my habit, 10 miles out I asked for an airport advisory and received a garbled response. No big deal, eventually I figured out which runway they were using.

While paying my fuel bill I mentioned the garbled transmission to the FBO manager. He replied that I had the best radio he had ever heard and that even at 10 miles out he had to turn his radio down because I was blasting out of his chair. I'm certain the A210 will be the same, if not better. BTW, I'm using a Commant CI-122 VHF COM antenna mounted under my left leg and bolted through the spar web.

Last edited:
Hey Chris,

I'm getting ready to wire up my INS 422. I have an Icom A200 and plan on using its aux audio inputs. It seems that with no selector and only one volume control on the INS you would have to hear the ID audio the whole time you are monitoring for marker tone. Right? Definitely don't want to do that, if that's the case I'll probably put a toggle switch to select one at a time. Your thoughts?

- Brett

Bill...Confused. Does the 496 have tone output?? Cool if it does. I have an Avmap EKP IV in mine, and struggling to get the autopilot to talk to it. I am referring to the Val INS 422 approach system in my plane. Two tone outputs from this bugger that Val says need to stay discrete. One for MB and one for station audio. Although I don't see why they need to be wired to different pins, as it seems that all of the aux inputs will be parrelled inside the radio at some point. Anyhoo, works fine. All you need to do is crimp or solder on a new connector pin,(included with new radios) and puish it in the back of the Molex. No need to remove the shell from the rack. Bill, I am glad I did the radio upgrade. Worth the extra dough for sure. Dual channel monitor is like 2 radio for me. Need that in the ILM TRSA.

Regards...and happy TGiving...Chris

Yep..If you don't want to hear the morse in the background, you will have to switch one of the 422 audio outputs. I am not sure which one though. I don't find it a hassle, as I just turn down the audio on the 422 after I approach. Also, you can silence the tones with a push of the knob. Might want to fly it as is and give it a try before you install the toggle. The good news is that Val gives you 2 seperate audio outs, so you can easily configure them as you wish. I was also pleased that all of my audio levels seemed just right without installing any circuitry to balance them. I really wasn't expecting to be able to eliminate that circuitry.
Also, on a side note, If you have fired up your 422, see if the display brightness is even across the display when the display is dimmed. The left and rightmost digits on mine are almost too dim to see, but the center ones seem OK. I contacted Val about this, and they want me to send it in. I have never flown one of these at night, so this was the first time I have ever seen the display in dim mode.

All the best...Chris

Thanks for the info -- and the tip about the LEDs. I think I will put the audio on a three way switch - UP - ID Middle -- none Down -- Marker. An ancillary benefit will be using only one audio input on the A200. (Not that I'll ever need all three anyway.)

Yep..If you don't want to hear the morse in the background, you will have to switch one of the 422 audio outputs. I am not sure which one though. I don't find it a hassle, as I just turn down the audio on the 422 after I approach. Also, you can silence the tones with a push of the knob. Might want to fly it as is and give it a try before you install the toggle. The good news is that Val gives you 2 seperate audio outs, so you can easily configure them as you wish. I was also pleased that all of my audio levels seemed just right without installing any circuitry to balance them. I really wasn't expecting to be able to eliminate that circuitry.
Also, on a side note, If you have fired up your 422, see if the display brightness is even across the display when the display is dimmed. The left and rightmost digits on mine are almost too dim to see, but the center ones seem OK. I contacted Val about this, and they want me to send it in. I have never flown one of these at night, so this was the first time I have ever seen the display in dim mode.

All the best...Chris

Back